started then quit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry started then quit

I have a 95' 7.3. Started and ran crapy for maybe a minute then died. No smoke and no smell of fuel. Checked for code (OBD1) and no engine light signaling there are any. Checked GPR and checks good and block heater is good and working. Batteries are 1 yr old and good. But I don't hear injectors buzzing? Can you hear them when key is to the run position? I looked for a thread about checking IDM but could not find. I'm sure there is one I just suck at finding it. Any body have any ideas? Oh yeah I replaced the fuel filter and plenty of fuel in it and not jelled. Not that cold here in Utah...where I'm at anyway. Ok I forgot to mention that I also checked fuses and all are good to go. Used some starting fluid and would fire till it was gone. I obviouly have a fuel issue. SOB this sucks!

Last edited by larc; 12-26-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, after a little research I found out that my HPOP had little or no oil in the res.. So now my next question would be where does that oil go. Ha. I hate to think my injectors are shooting oil out like no tomorrow. I know it takes roughly 3 quarts of oil. So how does it get re-supplied and should it drain back to the oil pan after sitting for a day?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

it should not drain back to the pan after sitting. That is not to say it won't.

Are you getting oil pressure right away when it fires up? My 01 is slower than my dead grandmother to pick up oil pressure on the LP side, so if I don't throttle it up right at startup, it will die. Then its open the HPOP res, fill with oil, restart. Curse, swear, get your day off to a ROCKING start.

I have yet to solve this particular problem, I have been through everything short of pulling the oil pan off. beginning to think I am going to find some serious issues in there.

Just something to check.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info Highwaywrench!! I primed the HPOP...Twice before she fired up. Talk about your nerves ninny! I did like you said and finally oil pressure came up and the res filled up...halaluya! Now the starter runs for 15 to 20 seconds before it fires. Not sure if the HPOP is going out or the oil pump behind the crank pulley is some how slipping? Either way it will suck. To top all that off I can only guess that one or more injectors are sucking oil for the the oil to disappear from the HPOP res. Anybody have any ideas on the injectors theory here?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: After talking to a diesel Mechanic, I was informed that after 95' PSD's had a larger volume oil pump to better supply the HPOP. So now I think that after 150k my oil pump is getting weak. Colder the all get out here so I think I will put 10w-30 in it for now so the pump will have an easier time starting to supply the HPOP. I'll change it back to 15-40 when it warms up a little. I figure I'll change the pump this spring. And to add insult to misery, I think that when I used starting fluid to trouble shoot the no start issue...I blew a few glow plugs. SOB!! I check that out this weekend...it would make sense. It's not firing up as quick as it use to. Anybody ran lower weight oil out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.