Need help in Detroit area - Van died and won't re-start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update - got it started, Thanks!!: Need help in Detroit area

Hi, I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me out.

I was driving from the UP of MI to the Detroit area Wednesday and while cruising down the freeway at 70, the van all of a sudden started feeling like it was running out of fuel. The light had just come on, and normally I have 5 gallons left. I managed to get off the highway and made it about 1/2 mile down a surface road before it cut out completely. It went from running full on one minute and just faded away in a matter of a mile or so. Thought I was out of fuel, so I put a couple gallons in and it would not re-start. Fired a little, some white smoke, but no re-start. Had it towed to my parents (thankfully we were within about 20 miles at this point) and started searching for clues. The van had the CMP recall done about 5K ago, but it sure sounded like that was the problem, so I picked up two new ones today from the International dealer. Put the first in and it would not start. Seemed to fire eradically, so I swapped in the second new one just in case I had a bad new part. Still no start, but it seems to try to fire now, but not catch. Added some more fuel with 911 treatment in case of gelling in the tank, and plugged in the block heater for a few hours. Checked all the fuses under the hood, and the important ones under the dash. Still will not start. Does not seem to be much smoke coming out of the pipe. The oil pressure gauge shows good pressure while cranking. Changer up the batteries while I was working and they are at 12.8+ volts.

So, any ideas?? I'm strapped for time and need to get this fixed so I can go home on Sunday for work!! Should probably add, it's a 2003 E-350 with a 7.3L.

One of the other members suggested finding someone who can hook up a scanner. If you're in the area (st. Clair Shores) and willing to come try, I will be happy to work some sort of deal with you.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by big-air-b; 12-25-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Got it started
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 09:29 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Merry Christmas fellow Michigander. I live about an hour south of St. Clair Shores. I have Auto Enginuity. I also have the day free. Being I did Christmas with my family yesterday.

I am just sitting here watching Mythbusters.

I have no problems coming and checking your van out.

I will pm you with my number.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-air-b View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me out.

I was driving from the UP of MI to the Detroit area Wednesday and while cruising down the freeway at 70, the van all of a sudden started feeling like it was running out of fuel. The light had just come on, and normally I have 5 gallons left. I managed to get off the highway and made it about 1/2 mile down a surface road before it cut out completely. It went from running full on one minute and just faded away in a matter of a mile or so. Thought I was out of fuel, so I put a couple gallons in and it would not re-start. Fired a little, some white smoke, but no re-start. Had it towed to my parents (thankfully we were within about 20 miles at this point) and started searching for clues. The van had the CMP recall done about 5K ago, but it sure sounded like that was the problem, so I picked up two new ones today from the International dealer. Put the first in and it would not start. Seemed to fire eradically, so I swapped in the second new one just in case I had a bad new part. Still no start, but it seems to try to fire now, but not catch. Added some more fuel with 911 treatment in case of gelling in the tank, and plugged in the block heater for a few hours. Checked all the fuses under the hood, and the important ones under the dash. Still will not start. Does not seem to be much smoke coming out of the pipe. The oil pressure gauge shows good pressure while cranking. Changer up the batteries while I was working and they are at 12.8+ volts.

So, any ideas?? I'm strapped for time and need to get this fixed so I can go home on Sunday for work!! Should probably add, it's a 2003 E-350 with a 7.3L.

One of the other members suggested finding someone who can hook up a scanner. If you're in the area (st. Clair Shores) and willing to come try, I will be happy to work some sort of deal with you.

Thanks,
Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Merry Christmas fellow Michigander. I live about an hour south of St. Clair Shores. I have Auto Enginuity. I also have the day free. Being I did Christmas with my family yesterday.

I am just sitting here watching Mythbusters.

I have no problems coming and checking your van out.

I will pm you with my number.
This is why this forum is si sucessful!!! I am constantly taken aback by the generosity of our members!! Merry Christmas to you both!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:42 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastPadre View Post
This is why this forum is si sucessful!!! I am constantly taken aback by the generosity of our members!! Merry Christmas to you both!
Just helping someone out. Hey if you can't do it today. I can come up there tomorrow in the late morning early afternoon.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

The guys on this forum are great! I was just glad he posted this request for help as I suggested. I knew someone would respond if he did. Keep us posted!

I'm spending my Christmas helping a neighbor with a clogged sewer line. you got to do what you got to do. (No pun intended! )
Old 12-25-2009, 10:00 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
The guys on this forum are great! I was just glad he posted this request for help as I suggested. I knew someone would respond if he did. Keep us posted!

I'm spending my Christmas helping a neighbor with a clogged sewer line. you got to do what you got to do. (No pun intended! )
Well I am just waiting for his response.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Well I am just waiting for his response.
Hope you can help him. AE can narrow down the search. Mine has helped me several times.

Thanks for responding like you did. I hope when I am away from home and need a member's help there will be somebody near.

Merry Christmas!

Hank
Old 12-25-2009, 10:05 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Hope you can help him. AE can narrow down the search. Mine has helped me several times.

Thanks for responding like you did. I hope when I am away from home and need a member's help there will be somebody near.

Merry Christmas!

Hank
If you are in an hour drive of me I will help you if I am available. That goes to any member out there.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got it fired up. Thanks guys for the quick response! I still want to understand exactly what happened. I will post details in my other post in the 7.3 Motor Problems section.

Thanks, again! Awesome forum...I'm hooked!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.