HELP! Have 2 stupid questions! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! Have 2 stupid questions!

Sorry this is going to be long but please read and give me some input PLEASE!

I have a 1995 F-350 with 290-k miles, the truck runs and drives really good for the high miles. I sold this truck 2 weeks ago at a local auction then had to buy it back. The auction did a post sale inspection on the truck and faled it because they said it had a bad "injector pump" (which anyone who knows powerstrokes should know they do not have one) so they let the buyer out. I resold it last week at the same auction again offering a drive on the truck. This time they buyer just arb'ed because it had an oil leak, so the auction called and told me the truck had been turned down becasue of an oil leak and the turbo is not working. After thinking about this over the weekend, I remembered 2 weeks before when the auction did the post sale inspecton NOTHING was said about the non working turbo..... guess they missed something or the mechanic does not know what he is talking about?
I picked the truck up today, parked it on dry clean surface and let it run for 20 mins and found one small leak around the front seal and around the dip stick tube (both about the size of a penny).

So my questions are:
1) On a truck with 290-k miles should it have any oil leaks, if so to what extent would be normal?
2) How can you tell if the turbo is working or not?

Please feel free to state what you really think about the people who checked the truck!

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 08:04 PM

wow this story sounds familar except im on the auctions end of it all where are you from? and what auction?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddkarmaracing View Post
wow this story sounds familar except im on the auctions end of it all where are you from? and what auction?
Decatur, Texas. Manheims DFW Auto Auction!

I had the same deal just over a month ago with a 2003 F-250, the truck was turned down because the CEL came on. I sent the truck out ot have it checked with a scanner and found the injector harness on the passenger side had been unplugged and a prong bent then re plugged in so you could not tell just looking at the harness. And the auction was too stupid to hook up a scanner to find the problem. So another deal where someone thought they paid too much then jacked it up to get out of it.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 PM

well not the same story then lol im in harlingen and work at big valley auto auction in donna

honestly i cant believe manhiem would arbitrate the truck with that many miles on it. with over 100k most auctions would sell it as-is meaning no arbitration unless it is marked green light drive
Old 12-21-2009, 08:29 PM

this sounds really screwed up... I would call them out on the fact that PSD's donthave injector pumps. and a small oil leak on a 290k truck is managable. i would tell them to stick up their @$$. but i have heard the life of a turbo is about 300k. if the truck still has normal power and is not just unbearbly sluggish it shoud be working fine.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Not them, they change the policy to best fit thier needs.... Here you have the option to offer a drive on any thing regardless of year, mileage or price.

I have been dealing with diesels for about 8 years now and DO NOT know everything about them but do know enough to check them and make sure they SHOULD pass a drive. If I have any thought that they might not pass I will offer them AS-IS.

Whats funny about this 95 is 2 weeks ago when they did the PSI on the truck and was arb'ed for a bad injector pump, nothing was said about a bad turbo..... So I guess the injector pump fixed itself and the turbo went out!

When I said something to them about these trucks not having a injector pump, the asset. GM even knew they did not have one, but the so-call mech. said it was bad..... go figure!

Guess somebody is getting paid under the table.

Backto the question, any ideas?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salebarn Rob View Post
this sounds really screwed up... I would call them out on the fact that PSD's donthave injector pumps. and a small oil leak on a 290k truck is managable. i would tell them to stick up their @$$. but i have heard the life of a turbo is about 300k. if the truck still has normal power and is not just unbearbly sluggish it shoud be working fine.
I have had some with more power, but I have also had some with less power. They told me the turbo was bad! I started the truck and help my hand over the intake vent over the battery and it will suck you hand to it at an idle.

My opinion if the turbo was bad it would not be sucking air into it, it would be like the old IDI non turbo trucks
Old 12-21-2009, 08:47 PM

pull the intake tube off the turbo and see if the turbo has any shaft play and take the mechanic out to look at it with you.... it sounds like to me that somebody wants the truck but doesnt want to pay good money for it so they are making it look like a pos so you will as-is it
Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only true test of the turbo would be to to take off the intake hose, and check for shaft play. A test drive to confirm boost with a gauge wouldn't hurt either. A 14 year old vehicle with 290k on the clock is bound to have a few leaks, and by your discription they are ones that are easily fixed. I find it strange that in an auction environment that these people are acting as though they are selling a "certified" used vehicle with some sort of warranty. I work at a classic car auction twice a year, and basically it is up to the seller to note any issues with the vehicle. We only had one vehicle returned to the seller in the last five years when the engine cratered as the buyer was loading it on a trailer.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
We only had one vehicle returned to the seller in the last five years when the engine cratered as the buyer was loading it on a trailer.
that had to suck for the seller.... he had to buy a new motor lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.