'95 HUGE Oil Leak-- Urgent - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'95 HUGE Oil Leak-- Urgent

This may have been posted before, but I'm covered in oil and frustrated and don't have time to go back through the archives. I've got a '95 PSD in a F-350 with 230k miles. A few days ago I noticed a slight oil leak when I'd stop for fuel. I checked the oil and it was about a quart or so low, so I just replaced it. I drove it another 100 miles over the course of the week and noticed the leak was still there intermittenly, but no worse. Yesterday morning I went out to leave and noticed a pretty big puddle under the front of the engine. It looked to be at least a half-quart. I decided to take my other truck and check it out when I had more time. Good thing I did. When I went to check it this morning, I popped the hood and noticed oil on the firewall and the steering shaft was soaked. I checked the dipstick and oil was barely touching the tip! I crawled underneath and was amazed at what I saw. Oil was absolutely everywhere and dripping from a half-dozen places. It's coated the block, the I-beam suspension, the oil pan, everything. But it all seems to be concentrated on the drivers side of the engine. The passenger side looks clean. The oil filter seems tight and the plug in the pan was tight and clean. The oil seems to be coming from up high and either spraying or really running down over everything big time.

Under the hood, the valve covers on both side looks good and the heads look to be okay. No water in the oil, no history of running hot, and my oil pressure is fine. I pulled the cover from over the intake/fuel filter and the lines going into the turbo aren't wet with oil, but there is some oil residue there.

I've only had the truck a couple of months, but I got it from a relative and there doesn't seem to be a history of serious problems with this vehicle.

Can ANYBODY offer any help or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oil cooler might have cracked.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If I remmember correctly there is a plug on the back of each of the heads. They will puke out a ton of oil very quickley. You can get a new plug and o-ring from the dealer fpr rather inexpensivley. the PITA is getting the old one out. The oil will spray on the firewall and drip down the back of the block. Hope this helps in your diagnosis. Tomorrow if I get a chance I will look it up and let you know of the R&R procedure.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.