Jiffy Lube screwed up? Engine going? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jiffy Lube screwed up? Engine going?

Here's the deal, 3 weeks ago had the oil changed. Drove about 2000 miles. Get in the other day, started up fine, but I knew it was about to happen, at the red light i could feel the engine bogging down. Giving it gas, sounded like it was dying or floooded.

Made the right decision to pull off road and not get on freeway. As soon as I pulled off, truck shuttered then shut off. FIrst thing I did was check the oil. It wasn't even on the dip stick. Put 3 1/2 quarts in. Drove 1/2 mile to the place I got it changed, Jiffy Lube, and they said the filter was loose and it was known to shake loose in diesels. OKay so, i lost 3 quarts, or burned it all up.

HAd to drive another 300 miles that day. She ran great!!! Sat over night, go out to start this morning, down 2 quarts!!! No oil on ground.

Put the oil in, drove to work fine. I feel like something is wrong, oil pressure pretty good. One time I slowed down tonight it dropped a little bit but not in the danger zone.

Also, while this was happening all of the sudden FUEL FILTER, light violently blinking. I just changed it at the oil change. Any ideas?

Please tell me she is not dying!!

Did jiffy lube screw up my motor? WHy is it burning so much? And the loose filter?

Please help, very depressed and scared.

185K NO PROBLEMS BEFORE THIS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 PM

Just so you know I have been around diesels my whole life and never heard of a oil filter shaking loose. Is there oil all over the under side of the truck? There should be if the oil filter was loose. Also 3 1/2 quarts isn't nothing in a diesel truck if it wasnt on the dip stick!!! It should have been lower than that. My truck holds 14 quarts yours should be around the same. Anyways I would watch it and start doing your own oil changes that way you know its done right!!! At least thats the way I look at it. Look at it this way, would you want the cashier at wal-mart giving you adivce on your taxes? Prob not then i wouldn't take advice on my diesel motor from Jiffy Lube
Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
What have you looked at and confirmed so far? Is there any proof of a leak near the filter? In the eng. valley? Does it smoke more than usual? Coolant look like a milkshake?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:48 PM
SOONER POWERSTROKER

Send a message via Yahoo to bundymon
I stopped at jiffy lube just to be curious on what they charge to change the oil in a diesel. They told me $90.00. I told them they where crazy I usually get it changed at a certain Wally World for around $60.00. One of there guys tried to tell me the reason they can do it cheaper was they used recycled oil. I just laughed and turned around and left. I reckon if Wally World uses recycled oil thats what they sell off the shelf, because that where they get the oil from.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 PM

i worked at a pennzoil back in high school..... to many horror stories.......

you could walk into the auto parts center in walmart and they would no more about a truck..
Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 PM

Hmmm....IF, and that's a big if, your engine is losing oil, it's most likely in the valves and not in the rings. My bet is that they didn't put enough in to begin with. If you're burning oil, you'd see white smoke that never really thins out and a loss of top end power due to blow by. If you think blow by is the problem (and I doubt it is) run a compression test and a leak down test. Just my $0.02
Old 12-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. My question is, if the engine shuttered and shut down. Then I put the oil in and it starts up. Do you think I did any core engine damage? Drove truck, seems okay. Oil pressure good. A tiny drip, coming from I've had cardboard underneath. drip is on driver side. Do you guys feel that there might be major damage. Runs good. However, I feel like its not the same, but it just might be all in my head.

THank you guys, i live by this site.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:27 PM

It may be in your head, hopefully. I do all of my own oil changes so I can make sure it is done right. those guys at places like Jiffy Lube, etc... could care less about your truck so if they mess up it's no big deal to them. Just keep an eye on things and you should be good. I've been told that these trucks have an automatic shut off if the engine reads the oil to be too low to prevent damage, hopefully thats the case
Old 12-16-2009, 04:32 PM

There really is no way to wreck a powerstroke from no oil because, like you found out, once the oil pressure drops the high pressure oil pump stops recieving oil and when that happens there is no oil to fire the injectors. No oil to injectors = Engine stall.

Its basically a low oil protection system.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Jiffy Lube is a joke, $90 bucks to change the oil. I had the guy tell me when I was having the oil changed in my wifes car that they have to check on the price because they didn't know how to charge for the extra 4 quarts. (please note that an oil change at jiffy lube includes up to 5 quarts). I would almost bet that they just shorted you when they filled it. I can change mine for less than $55 and use motorcraft oil and a motorcraft filter. Take the matter in your own hands they will not take good car of you there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.