EGTs..how hi is TOO high? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGTs..how hi is TOO high?

here the situation..as many of you already know...I have an 03 E550 20' box truck (cutaway cube van) with an infamous 7.3, and I had a continous problem with it that Allegheny Ford loved raping me over and NEVER fixing it. Well, it turned out to be sediment in the fuel tank (a special thanks to Scott W for his dead on advice)..anyway, its running..nowhere near as well as it should, but until I win the lotto, I can't afford anymore outlay on this thing for a long time. Here's my current quandry. The dealer said they found a chip in PCM and that it was causing my problem..so they replaced the PCM (wrong answer but a costly one). Mind you I put over 50k miles on this thing with that chip in it and not knowing it was there, all apparently, without any adverse effects. However, I recently installed my guages, Boost just off the MAP, EGT off the driver's side manifold, and tranny temp off the test port. I've taken it on a couple of runs since and find that I continously scan those guages like a hawk. Until today, the egts would hit around 1250-1300 during a long climb..crest the top and they'd drop like a rock back to "normal". Trans temp hit about 195 once on a long grade and sloooowly dropped back to 170-180 range. I had a couple of oil leaks to fix today so just for schyts and giggles I put the old chip in the new PCM. (haven't a clue as to the make or programming of the chip) Anyway..buttoned it back up and took it for a short test run. EGT shot up to 1400 climbing a mild grade! That was a short grade, under acceleration and empty(as in unloaded..of course this thing weighs 13350 empty). I don't see this as a good thing and yet, without knowing what those EGTs were before, I put a lot of miles, loaded and unloaded, long steep uphills and flatlands, and it didn't seem to harm anything. I quickly pulled over, shut er down and pulled the chip. In expert opinions out there, would I be safe in putting it back in? Or..should I count my blessings and leave it out?
Have truck in the driveway and down, awaiting expert advice. Thanks
Howard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Well now that you have an EGT gauge you can monitor your temps and when you get too hot just back off on the gas pedal till they drop into the safe zone. There is a few things you can do to lower your egt's. Put an open intake on and a new exhaust would help lower the egts. So really I would say its up to you if you feel comfortable with the chip and it runs good with the chip use it and monitor the egt's
Old 03-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

You can exceed the 1250 degrees rule for short periods of time, you don't want to do it for extended periods though, it will eventually start to melt things, and that is not a good thing. But the sled pullers and race truck regularly run up into the 15-1600 degrees range, but only for short periods of time. A good quality chip will also make a difference in the EGTs, but they still climb.

Gord.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
If my water/meth kits not on I'll hit 1200 out of my driveway in reverse......just kidding but you can hit 1200 for a bit with no worries but you start climbing above it don't stay in it too long.
I flat out ATE a couple kids who got beside me at a light the other day in a nice "HEMI" and had the nuts to rev it, and rev it, and rev it........that made my eating them by no less than 6 truck lengths all more satisfying. I hit 1500 and decided it was time to back out, I'd more than proved my point.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

hahaha, good kill, you should post it in the kill section.

Gord.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
hahaha, good kill, you should post it in the kill section.

Gord.
Good idea - just did.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:29 PM

ok..well, since this chip was in it before they replaced the PCM and I installed the guages (ahhh I guess ignorance really IS bliss), and therefore before I really knew what the EGTs were actually running, I think (therefore I am) I'll just re-install it. As soon as financially able, I WILL be looking for someone to make up a 4" pipe from the turbo all the way back with a straight thru muffler. Would be a MAJOR coup if I could find a set of headers to fit this beast..would probably help in the power and mileage areas too..oh well...one thing at a time I suppose.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

Headers are not really worth the money on a basicly stock motor, in fact you would probably lose some of your bottom end torque with them, better to just go with the exhaust and intake mods, and save up for a custom tuned chip for your truck from Jody.

Gord.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:00 PM

I would love to be able to upgrade the intake, and believe me I've been trying to figure out just how I could fit one in but when ya open the hood on this beast, you're lucky to find enough room for 1 spit and 4 cuss words. The thought has crossed my mind, although briefly, to cut a hole through the hood and make some kind of "scoop" arrangement..but before I tackle such a thing as that, I'll need to hit a wreaking yard or 2 for an extra hood. Would rather screw a spare up on a trial and error mission.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

Your biggest problem is the lack of an intercooler on that van arrangement. Water/meth injection is probably the cheapest thing that would yield the most improvement on EGT. A good intake and exhaust will help, but without an intercooler you still need something to cool the intake air for best results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.