6.0 Electrical System - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 6.0 Electrical System

So here is the situation been working on it for 2 days now, and kind of need it by Tuesday at the latest.

So my truck started intermittently showing the battery light. At that point metered everything, batteries at 14.2 and alternator putting out 14.6. Then I went to Sears for them to load test the batteries and alternator again. They say they cant find anything else. On my way back from Sears, the battery light is steady on now. Get home, metered it again. 11 at the alternator and 11 at the batteries. Replace alternator, check again and same issue 11 all around. So next day, 12 at the batteries and alternator (truck off) start it, now shows 11. Pull alternator and bring both old and new one to autozone and test. Both putting out 11. They mention about blowing a relay in them. That night I also put a charger on the batteries to charged them, blew the charger. Now I am hearing about the fuseable link, but I dont know where to check this and how to check it. It seems like there maybe a short in the system or what have you.

Any help would be awesome!

(Trucks in the sig)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 04:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

If you are getting the same voltage at alt. and batt. with truck off, you do not have a blown fuseable link. With the truck on, but not running you should have voltage at the small wiring harness on the alt. If not, you don't have a signal to tell the alt. to charge the truck.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the response. I didn't think it was a fusible link because of that reason, but I was just so lost. It ended up being I bought a bad alternator and was able to return it and get one somewhere else. 200 bucks and running good! Now I don't think the charger blew, but some how it blew the outlet in my timer (the one I use for the block heater). But I returned it anyway. So that's that!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 AM

i put an alternator on my truck, it lasted 400 miles, the remans are such great units lol.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 AM

lol i know right! unfortunatly, it was another reman that went on, but i made sure it was coming from a good source this time! knock on wood!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.