blowing smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry blowing smoke

ok i have a 7.3 with 300k on it . runs fine but under a load it blows smoke . ie oil smoke.nice white smoke . just replaced the injectors with new not reman injectors . any help would be great thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 06:26 PM

check fuel pressure, low fuel pressure would do this..you should have 70 psi
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy

fuel press checked at about 88 90 psi . its pulling the oil from the cranck case . 5 of the injectors are new , three are remans from the local international dealer . they are about three weeks old .could they be bad ???
Old 12-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

7.3 w/electric or mechanical fuel pump? But I'd assume it should be 60-70 like IT up there said. It's normal for the crank case to vent into the intake and accumulate lots of oil, especially with 300k miles.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok a little history on this truck . 8 or9 months ago i instaled 8 reman injectors from penssicola diesel supply . about three weeks ago it started blowing white smoke [ ie oil] . took the truck to the international dealer they said bad injector so they replaced it truck ran fine for about two weeks . then it started again, so back to the dealer they said two more bad injectors ,and they replaced them . last week it started the same thing all over . i said order new injectors . 5 because 3 had been replaced buy the dealer . so today i pulled the vale covers to install the new injectors and saw the three that the dealer had installed were remans . so i putt in the 5 new injectors fired the truck up it ran perfect . on the test drive ,just as soon as the truck gets a load it starts to blow smoke . sitting in the driveway on idle no smoke .if you idle the truck up to 2500 rpms still no smoke . oh yeh on the test drive when it starts smoking it starts missing almost like an injector is stuck .hope this helps i shure need it .thanks alot
Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM

check boost pressure, check for any boost leaks at hoses or clamps...if you are only smoking under load, that is when you are building boost, maybe you're just not getting enough air, check air filter as well.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok here is a list of whats been done . new feul filter 5 new injectors .new gaskets and o rings on the oil cooler , [ it was leaking oil at the oil cooler a steady stream ] truck runs out fine now but keeps throwing a code 164 injection control pressure ? any help on this one would be great thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
What color smoke buddy?

Whats your outside temp and truck temp?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no more smoke just this funky code that i have no clue as to what it is its a code 164/injector control pressure . i thought the high pressure oil pum controled the injector pressure . am i wrong?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:31 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Injection control pressure? Have you put a resistor in it? If not, your ICP sensor is going bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.