Wrong dipstick = low oil level, HELP!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 01:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wrong dipstick = low oil level, HELP!!!

I've posted 2 threads in the 94 - 98 forum. One under General Discussion and one under motor problems. I think I may have found the cause to alot of my problems with my loss of power. I'm not getting any responses and I need someone who knows to check them out. Please, Help!

I found a TSB on 94 and early 95s having the wrong oil dipstick. So when it indicates Full, it is actually 2 quarts low. The dipstick with #1820068C1 stamped on it is the wrong one, #1824405C1 is the correct one, mine has #1826628C1 stamped in it, right or wrong? That's what I am trying to find out.

I called the local Ford Dealer (parts dept.) and had him look up these numbers and he said "yep, that's the one for a 95", (for all three numbers), then I asked him if Ford used different dipsticks for different years and he said no, they all use the same one. (idiot) I hung up on him.

So now I'm really not sure. If anyone knows where to find out what application my dipstick is for, please let me know.
I'm thinking about just draining the oil and seeing how much comes out. That's probably the best idea.
Anybody got any ideas?

Last edited by Glen95Stroker; 03-23-2007 at 04:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 02:10 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

There were some dipstick issues with the early powerstrokes, but I'm not sure what they were.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:18 PM

Who would know?

Last edited by Glen95Stroker; 03-23-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:14 AM

Bump

I really need some advice!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:10 AM

Maybe some of you with 95 7.3s can get the number off your dipstick and see if anyone has the same one as I've got. Would being 2 quarts low actually make that much difference in power or performance? Anybody!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:17 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I would call a different dealer...or better yet, goto the dealer. Many times they have idiots sitting behind the counter at the parts dept. I used to have a '68 Ford F-100 with a 352 Big Block Auto. We went to the parts dept. and asked about a rebuild/overhaul kit. The guy said that Ford never made a 352 BB....so...we take him out to the truck, wipe the grease caked on the block and WHAMMY!!!...right there, cast into the block "FORD 352BB". He then informs me that Ford doesn't make that engine anymore. "Well no POOPOO!!!" They only made it for like 2-3 years.

Anyway...try another dealer. Or even better, goto AutoZone and see what they can do for you.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:28 AM

It's probably a good thing I didn't go to that dealership today because I would have carried my dipstick in with me. You know, (I've got a dipstick and I'm not afraid to use it.)haha I think I will run up to napa and see what they can tell me.
I didn't know Ford made a 352 either. Might win a beer someday with that info.
Thanks for your input!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:48 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I've already won a few beers with that info. It was a trivia question at a bar one night. "What motor was the smallest big block manufactured by Ford in the late 60's?" (Me, jumping out of my chair), "THE 352BB, 1967-68, came in F-100's!!!!" $50 to me to pay the tab!!! Yippy for my pool of useless knowledge.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Ditty, what's that under the hood of your truck? That looks pretty good. I assume your battery is on the other side. Is there a mod for moving the battery and building that box?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
Dip Stick?

I looked at my dip stick on my 95. The number on it is 1824405C1. I know it is right because I change my own oil and the truck hold 14 quarts and that what it takes to read right on the stick.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.