7.3 no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 no start

2000 7.3 350 it has trouble starting in the mornings unless i plug it in any way but today it sat in the sun for likr 4 1/2 hours i went out to start it and nothing it wasnt a extra cold afternoon. i have had problems with the glow plugs before and stll have not replaced them but i guess thats the next thing but it just cranks and cranks with no fire there is fuel in the fuel bowl any help would be great
john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to drstephennix
Any smoke coming out of the tailpipe when cranking and what color?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not nearly as much as when i have to crank on it when its cold but some white i parked it at 3 in the afternoon and it ran fine no problems and i tried to get in it at 7 and nothing
Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no start

try to measure the total current draw to the glow plugs-----------that will tell you how many are good or bad. Each one draws so much x8 = total draw
Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im pretty sure its not glow plugs i know i need em but in this case im saying cam sensor which i just had the recall replacement done in august. has anyone else had problems with their replacement sensor going bad?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to drstephennix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_GIL View Post
im pretty sure its not glow plugs i know i need em but in this case im saying cam sensor which i just had the recall replacement done in august. has anyone else had problems with their replacement sensor going bad?
Sometimes the new ones will go bad. I used to have a '95 that i had to plug in EVERY time it got below 50degrees outside. It was a pain in the arse. I never figured out what exactly was wrong with it....that was before the ORG though
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I CALLED FORD AND THEY SAID THEY HAVE NOT HAVE ANY CAM SENSORS COME BACK BAD. HOWEVER IF IT ENDS UP BEING THE SENSOR THEY WILL REPLACE IT BUT I GOT TO GET THE TRUCK 60 MILES SO THAT THEY CAN DO THAT. ITS REALLY NOT SPITTIN ANY SMOKE OUT WOULD THAT POSSIBLY BE THE FUEL PUMP NOT PUMPING FUEL?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
bottom right fuse number 30.
its a 30 amp. if thats gone it wont start. imo the most common reason this fuse goes is the fuel bowl heater elemenyt shorting out.if the fuse is bad unplug this andput in another fuse and see???
Old 12-03-2009, 11:31 AM

I agree with melmount. I had this problem also. The fuse would keep blowing. I just unhooked the fuel bowl heater and the fuses stopped blowing. Truck would start up fine. I don't live in extreme cold temps so i just left the fuel bowl heater unplugged. NOt worried about jelling here.

If its the glow plugs I changed my glow plugs and put the Stancor relay on and have had no problems at all. My truck used to not start even when it was 45- 50 degrees outside. she starts on the first try every time now with no block heater. It has been bout 20-30 degrees here the past week. Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.