Super Major Oil LEAK! Rear Mainiac????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 07:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Super Major Oil LEAK! Rear Mainiac?????

Have '97 F250.. 200,000 miles. Engine runs great. I have only had for 300miles now. So Driving on the highway the other day, stop for fuel. Spot a ton of oil pouring out aroung the bellhousing... picture a coffee pot brewing coffee... just puring out with the truck off. So I fill it up a gallon worth of oil. Drive home, at about 55 60... almost 20 miles.. get home same thing. Oil just pouring out around the behousing. Let it drain till it stops... about 15mins after I parked it. Turns out it was almost 2 gallons low this time.
Fast forward to the next nite... pulled off all the hpop lines. Found one bad o-ring... And a rag stuffed in the intake under the fuel filter! Clearly this has been a problem for the last guy. Though there was a small amount of oil leaking in the front of the engine from this. Anyway, I removed the turbo thinking maybe that was cracked... as the pedestal is washed with oil in one spot and looks very clean. But the o-rings where in good shape, and do not appear to have been leaking. I didn't see any cracks in either the turbo or the pedestal.
So Here's the 5 hour headache question... I have heard so much about how the rear mains never, never leak... Then why would it continue to leak after it has been parked for almost 20mins?

Somebody every had their rear main go? I am 24 hours from pulling this engine... and just resealing everything I can. Please I would love some imput!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM

oh... and yes I checked the oil galley plugs in the heads... no leaks there.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
check the rear main seal?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 PM

Not to sound like a retard... checking the remain seal requires either pulling my zf 5spd or pulling the engine. This is the only way, right?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Serving Our Country!

I just have to ask to make sure ... you said you pulled the HPOP lines and found a bad o-ring there ... did you fix that bad o-ring? That was not the _only_ leak?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 PM

Well... There was so much oil I just figured there was another leak. I checked into a turbo from the dealer... seeing as mine has plenty of play. My dealer cost is $740... I get a discount through my work. 206,000 just figured I would repalce while it is out. Anyone know of a good rebuilder.. or should I just go with the dealer?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

The bad o-ring in the HPOP line will produce a ridiculous amount of oil ... Unless you have continued leakage following repair of that o-ring I can tell you that is most likely your source of oil. Those high pressure oil lines will be anywhere from 500 to 3000 psi during operation ... if that helps you understand why the leak can be so bad.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check all places on the HPOP system. The oil plugs on the heads, both ends of both HPOP lines, AND the plug on the back of the HPOP. Get that last one?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:42 PM

rear mains leak often, you need to look up inside with a flashlight and you can see if they are leaking. between flywheel and crankshaft end. there is a special tool to install the rear main seal.

ZTSE4318
CRANK WEAR RING/SEAL INSTALLER $326.05
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 AM

hey i just had the same problem this morning ! same area looks like its leaking oil but on my 2001 7.3excursion i found an o-ring blown out on the back of the hpop ! look for a brass hex plug\bolt on the very back of hpop ! thats where all my oil is leaking from but it looks like its a rear main seal cause of the angle of the motor ,it just runs right down the back of the motor ! but its not ,thankfully ! as soon as i cranked my excursion it shot out like crazy ! my whole undercarriage is covered in rotella and a large puddle on the ground ! i just ordered a o-ring kit for hpop from ford {$25} or you can go to a machine shop and get just one o-ring for a #6 straight thread o-ring boss fitting but make sure its made by VICON or can handle about 3000psi ! good luck with yours !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.