2000 250 7.3l Cold start rough, then dies. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 250 7.3l Cold start rough, then dies.

This is my first post here guys, I have had my truck for 7 years now, and it has been a champ till now. Here is what is goiing on.

On a the first start ofthe day, the truck fires no problem, but idles rough. When I head out the driveway, i get about 3/4 of a mile and it starts sputtering real bad hopping from 500RPM to 1200RPM. Within a few seconds it sounds and feels, to me, like it is sucking air, not geting fuel, then promptly dies. From there I try to start again, and now it really feels and sounds like i have let it run out of fuel. With about thirty second intrevals of starter burning, i can get it to slowly start with a lot of throttle play. And again when it starts it runs really rough. and if I don't hop on it and put it in drive and get going and get it up to speed and temp, it will promptly die again.

I changed the fuel filter thinking maybey it was clogged up, but it looked pretty clean, and replaced it any way.

Has anyone had this problem before, can you help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Cory S
my bet would be start with the CPS (cam position sensor) Welcome to the org
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I replaced that about four mnths ago. Been running fine until, abouta week and a half ago.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:33 AM

where did you get your cps from? anyways is it throwing any codes?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Froma local reputable diesel shop here in town, they also installed it. I have not checked for codes, for two reasons.

#1) The check engine light is not on.

#2) I don't have a code reader.

Should the codes be checked if the check engine light has not come on?

If so, where can I obtain a code reader, or can I take it to a shop and have them read it for me?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM

i would go to like a discount auto parts or a place like that and they can read the codes for free it may have thrown a code and not the light. have you tried running it since this happened? like let it warm up then drive it?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The first time it happened, I started the turck after it died, and coninued on my way to work aout 15-20 mile. Ran fine the rest of the way once it got warm. and I t was the same story for a trip or to to the local park, about 3 miles away. I have driven it I think five times since, and every time, the cold start gets a little harder, and after it dies, the restart takes longer and longer. This last time it happened, I would restart the truck by cranking for 30-50 seconds with throttle play until I could hear it starting to fire, back of the starter for five seconds, then try it again, and it took half a dozen cranks to fire up, with a reall rough idle, then a high idle, then it died. This happened five or six times. On the last trry frustration was setting in, and as soon as i got the motor fired up, I throttled it about 3/4 and threw it into drive. it took oof like a bullet and continued running rough, all the way through the RPM range. I was lucky enough to catch some lights, and keep the throttle to it, enugh to keep it going. By the time I got to the park the truck was running pretty good, not like butter or anything, but well enough. then when I started it after walking around the park. it was a bout a ten to fifteen second session of cranking, before fire, and ran well enough on the way home.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

rough when cold

What if anything have you done to correct your problem. I have a 2002 with similar problem, except runs fairly good once up to temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.