6.0 Idle issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Idle issues

Hello eveyone and thanks in advance for any help that you give. I have a "06" F350CC 4x4 with the 6.0 adn 129000 miles and have had issues with losing coolant, rough idle even after warm up and sluggish power and it has died a few times while driving. The times that it died the truck was pretty cold and I just assumed it was because it was just cold as it started back up and worked fine. On the advice of a friend I put on an EGR delet kit which has seemed to help somewhat, has not died but still having the rough idle. Also, i noticed when I pulled the turbo to install the EGR delete there was quite alot of oil outside the turbo on the air intake side. My questions are can I do anything with the turbo such as a reseal kit or is this a waste of time and is the idle problem the injectors themselves or in the control module. This is all the data I have at this point. I am trying to find my next step in troubleshooting. I am new to diesels so please dumb down your responses as I am not familiar with any of the acronyms or terminology. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
subscribed having a similar problem
Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From reading around the forum I gather this is a general problem among 6.0's and the problems could be one of a dozen. However, if anyone could steer me toward my next toubleshooting step I would appreciate it.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

help anyone out there able to give some advice
Old 11-12-2009, 05:37 PM

the oil in the inlet piping is somewhat normal. it gets sucked in the the crankcase ventilation on the driver's side valve cover.either due to a intake restriction(air cleaner), turbo unison ring sticking, excessive crankcase pressure(which is unlikely). if you look at the inlet vanes of the turbo and make sure none of the fins are damaged you don't really have to worry about the oil in the turbo/piping...unless it's about a quart or more. the rough idle is more then likely the injectors. my guess would be the 2 rear injectors, because of the egr cooler leaking allowing the exhaust pipes to fill with water and enter the rear cylinders.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

k man thanks i have put on an complete egr delet kit so the leaking should not be an issue any longer. when i had the turbo off to install the egr delete kit the fins looked good just a little "sanding" on the edges of the fins but nothing that looked abnormal. as for the injectors what is my next troubleshooting step? Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are u losing water by it puking out of the Coolant fill tank or, when u put the egr delete on it stopped losing water? If u are losing water still u most likely have a bad head gasket which will cause it to idle rough at times.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no not losing water now with the egr kit installed
Old 11-13-2009, 05:22 PM

gonna have to get a scanner that will do a cylinder contribution test to figure out which cylinders have the problem...or if you can get in with a temp gun, at first cold start up, check the temperature of the exhaust manifold ports. coldest ports are not firing
Old 11-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks bro! This is completely out of my range so I am going to take it to Ford on monday and have them troubleshoot the problem. I will get back on and let everyone know what the problem is and what the damage will be to me wallet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.