Leaking oil in front, blowby on dipstick - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaking oil in front, blowby on dipstick

Hey everyone and i got a problems with my truck and im having a hard time with it. I recently arrived at school in my truck to find a huge puddle of oil just start leaking out the front. Dragged it home and with the help of my brother he figured it was the oil cooler. We took it off to find a lot of scale, the gaskets and places where the tube connects to both end adapters were rotted/gone. So i bought all the new hardware to put it back together and threw it in there. Cleaned the anti-freeze system, put all new oil and anti-freeze in. Next 2 days when i got to school i have small puddles about 3 inches in diameter dripping over the days time. Also when i got it home and ran it in the driveway i would see white "vapor" or "blowby" coming out of the dipstick, i tried to press it on hoping it would fix it but then realized it probably wasn't supposed to be doing that. It seems to be dripping from about the middle of the front of the engine what appears to be right under the fan belt. Ive talked to some friends and investigated a few things. Lastly i took off the filter for where the air goes from the intake back to where it either goes to the turbo or into the motor. I dont know what the filter or the housing that is screwed to the top of the block/cover is called. It is covered in scale and rusted/rotted up. My guess is thats my problem. If anyone can tell me what the part name is or if you think im wrong in my assumption any and all help is much appreciated. If i can today or tomorrow im gonna try to get a picture of the part up here to help you guys. Ive searched the internet for a while for a schematic or picture with the name of the part but I haven't come up with anything. I really need my truck back soon so i would like to fix it today if i can but will settle for tomorrow if i have to. Thanks again in advance

-Henry

Edit: My Truck is a 96 Ford F-350 Powerstroke XL 4x4

Last edited by Poweystroke96; 11-08-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 AM

Hey Hank,
This is Brenden post this in the 94-98 motor problem area more obs guys are on there and will be able to help and take a look.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:44 AM

Also Youtube powerstroke blowby. A test that alot of people do is take the oil fil cap off and see the amount of smoke that pass thur. When the truck is idleing rest the cap on the fill hole if it falls of due to blow by presser not motor vibration than you got a good amount of blowby,,, just a thought.
brenden
Old 11-12-2009, 12:35 PM

Hey brenden, thanks for the for tip ill try that. Ive read that in a few places but my only problem is it isnt my only symptom of something being wrong.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:37 AM

I think i still have a compression tester that I made for my truck kickn around. give me a shot if you want to use it and I will dig it up!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.