99 7.3 won't start, service engine light on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 7.3 won't start, service engine light on

Still new to the diesel world and looking for some ideas here. When I go out in the morning to start the truck, turn the key and wait for the "wait to start" light to turn off, if the "service engine soon" light stays on the truck will turn over but will not start. If I keep turning the key off and on (without cranking the engine) until the "service engine" light goes off like it usually does then the truck starts right up. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the same problem. It does it when it's cold. Not as bad after the engine Is warm. I have 83500 miles on my 01. Truck runs fine after it starts up but it won't fire up when the service engine soon light is on. Any help is great. Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I talked to a Ford tech yesterday and we need to check for codes but one thing that I looked at this morning (when it did it again!) is the tach. Check to see if your tach is registering when you crank the engine with the 'service engine' light on...if it isn't, it could very likely be the crank position sensor which is what I am hoping for. The other two options are the PCM and the IDM!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Yea, i went to auto zone today to get the code read but the light wasn't on so no code came up. I am going to borrow their reader for a couple of days to see what it is. I will check the tach next time too. Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am getting mine scanned tomorrow night, will let you know what we find. Another thing to check is the ebp from what I'm being told so if the PCM looke like it's bad it might actually be the ebp. Hope we both figure this out!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:12 PM

yea i tried to start my truck up today and i think things got worse. It does not want to crack over and it only clicks when you turn the key. Im having a buddy of mine who is a ford mechanic come by tomorrow to see whats up, I will let you know what he says
Old 11-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
please let us know
good luck
Old 11-07-2009, 01:01 PM

I talked to my buddy today and he said it souned like it was the batteries. turn your headlights on and have someone watch if they dim when you crank it over. if they do bring your batteries to an autozone or something and have them check them. Thats what I did and both of my batteries were shot. Good luck and i hope this helps. let us know how it goes. o btw the code reader did not work because there was not enough power. it said there was an error
Old 11-13-2009, 05:46 PM

guess i'm to late...check your batteries!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I was gonna say check your batteries. Also, a good code scanner will bring up soft codes and past codes.
I would say its probably your CPS.
BTW, its your CAM position sensor, not crank position sensor. its always good tohave a spare in the glove box and a 10mm socket and ratchet. they can go out at anytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.