First Start Of the day Starts, Idles for few seconds rough, Dies??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Start Of the day Starts, Idles for few seconds rough, Dies???

2006 F250 6.0. 46kMiles. Approx 40-50 Degrees F outside, when i start the truck it, runs ok for 2-5 sec then gets choppy blows black smoke and dies, will restart and keeps doing the same. I did some simple diag and came up with batteries are on there way out. i start it bat volts drop to approx 10.0 - 10.6 when first started and after about 30 - 45 sec alternator excites and goes up to 13.8+. If the truck manages to stay running untill alternator excites(kicks on) it smooths out and is ok. Anyone ever have this problem? Please Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I put 2 batterys in it, this morning was about 38 degrees F and no start, spit spudder would not start. tried for 30 min. Folded went to dealer with hopes of FICM being bad and Warrenty'd. Got it started after work took 2 sets of jumper cables and a heartless key turn for about 50 sec 10 times. Knocking , banging, poured smoke sounded like hell but once it was warm it was fine, took it to the dealer, will let you know the outcome, anyone have FICM go bad?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My ficm went out about a year ago. It caused a no start. Sounds like your egr valve might have stuck open.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had EGR replaced already as well as cooler, It was pretty much a no start, A friend of mine is a local ford diesel tech, he walked me through some diag and said with the hard/no start as well as heavy electrical draw it was a shorted ficm. However if it wasn't for bad luck i'd have none. I've had head gaskets done, 2 rear main seals, 4x4 module, egr, egr cooler, and turbo. They always find ways out of the warrenty.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile

It was the FICM , back in buisiness......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.