Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Truck died and won't stay running

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  straycat 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 f250 with the 7.3. I was on my way to work this morning and out or nowhere the truck started running really rough and died. It started back up and idled really low for about 30 seconds before it died again. I got it towed to work and when I got it here it started and idled normal for about a minute and sounded fine and then it died again. I don't have anything to pull codes here at work. My question is does this sound like it is time to replace the cps?

#2 ·
Replace CPS, I have seen several trucks with the syptoms you are stating. My truck acted like this as well. I suggest replacing the cps, as 9 out of 10 times that is the problem.

#3 ·
I am hoping that is all it is. I have a spare cps at my house with the programmer. Just hoping that its not to hard to replace because it will be dark when I get home.

#4 ·
Welcome to guzzle's CPS R&R Web Page

There you go Gregor hope this helps, the wisdom of Mr Guzzle at you service, sounds like the CPS to me, but there is one time I have been wrong......I think.... well maybe not. hahaha. Let us know how you make out, and if you need more links just yell buddy.

Gord.

#5 ·
I have been researching it all morning and I am pretty sure that the cps is my problem. I allready read the instructions on how to replace it so I should be good to go on that end. Thanks for the help.

#6 ·
No problem, hope it works out man.

Gord.

#7 ·
Before I changed the cps I started it and it ran just fine. I checked it for cods and sure enough I had two for the cps, so I changed it and its running good.

#8 ·
Right on, glad it worked out Gregor.

#9 ·
I just changed the cps the other day and now it will not start at all. When I turn the ignition on it shows that the batteries are almost fully charged and then the volt meter drops and reads no charge at all. I tried to charge the batteries for about half an hour and tried to start it and it and it turned over really slow and would not start. Could the cps I just put in cause this? I am also wondering if it could be something with the glow plug relay?

#10 ·
You just aren't having any luck at all are you. I would check the glow plug system first thing after load testing the batteries, and checking the alternator output. Make sure the batteries are disconnected before you test them, otherwise they will give a false reading. It is possible the CPS is defective, but I don't personally think so. What you are describing sounds more like the batteries to me. Have you been doing any jump starting of other cars at all recently? Because that can blow the diodes in the alternator and cause it to short out internally, and it seems everything is fine, but it will discharge the batteries overnight.

Gord.

#11 ·
I haven't jump started anything with the truck since I have had it. I will have to wait till tomorrow to check the batteries, but it seems strange because it started fine until yesterday when I went to leave work. I will check the batteries and altnernator and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the help so far.

#12 ·
Any time Gregor, my pleasure buddy.

Gord.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.