01 f550 no power blue smoke missing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 f550 no power blue smoke missing

Help im pulling my hair out!!! scanned with mt2500 found 4-8-3 injectors bad replaced those, replaced ICP,fuel pump, drivers side vcg,crank sensor,ebps, it runs good till warm, then it sputters smokes bad when throttle down runs good from 2200-3200 then it starts to miss. this truck has 386k miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok guys i need some help bad! I have this 01 f550its 387k on it now, blow by isnt that bad, i have reaplaced valve cover gaskets, fuel pump,3,4,8 injectors, i did notice 1 of the injectors is a <AD> doesnt it have AB's? also replaced ICP, i do a con test on it and i get #8 fault again, wich this is the AD injector, it runs poorly smokes blue miss's back fires,puts flame out tail pipe,doesnt use oil that i can tell, no water in fuel, no fluids mixing,also replaced the cam sensor, could the 1 injector becausing the problem, i also get codes of low boost and exaust pressure and low voltage to the air heater.this is a truck that has to run daily and its not running and im tired of spending money on useless parts that dont help my problem,
Old 10-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is your injection control pressure while this is happening? Watch that and your IPR duty cycle and post the results here. That #8 is supposed to be a different injector, its fords fix for injector "cackle".
Old 10-16-2009, 04:34 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
you have flames coming out the exhaust!!?????
Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

icp pressure is in the 1200-2000 range when it does all of this, i was coming down the interstate tuesday night and it popped real loud and fire flames out the exaust pipe kind of like u turned the key off on a gas burner, did another con test today and number 3# and 8# injectors are bad again it says so i replaced #8 again and did the test over, still got #3 failed now, there is oil in the vally, turbo has oil in it and the tubes to the intercooler had oil in them as well, i cant get a reading from the durty cycle of ipr for some reason my scanner wont put it up. fuel pressure on the scanner is 5 at idle and goes up when throttled isthat correct for this truck?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

found the duty cycle of the ipr its 8 at a hot idle and goes up to about 18-20 when throttled, ipr reading is about 450-500 in that range when hot idle, 650-600 cold, icp reading is 0.80 to 1.85 varys, changed the #3 injector again warmed truck up did the con test still have #3 with a fault could the new uvcg be bad i did this test while it was semi cold and it past the test but reran the test and it fails on the same cylinder when engine is at normal op temp.still blows blue smoke from tail pipe, stinks like raw diesel makes my clothing smell like something awfull! there is no black smoke at all coming from the tail pipe all blue.

Last edited by tanner towing; 10-16-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:50 AM

Is that new cam sensor you put in grey by some chance? If it is that would explain the failure of #3 and #8. I dont know why but the grey sensors cause a rough idle and 3 and 8 failing the contribution tests in some trucks, like mine, I had to find a black one and now my truck passes the contribution test and has a smooth idle. That fuel pressure reading you get from the computer means nothing, there is no fuel pressure sensor on the 7.3 so that is just a made up number. Did you do a compression test yet on this motor? Maybe you should also pull whatever injectors you havent had out yet and check the o-rings too.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 AM

have you thought about replacement of the main computer, what code is the truck? dp tuner sells used ones with mods or without, also i thought the fuel pedal variable resister thing has had some issues on some of these trucks. there should be a way of checking the resistance of the fly-by-wire resister of the fuel pedal to ensure it is not sending a bad signal to your computer.
just trying to think out-of-the-box. testing of the pedal should be as simple as a digital multi meter on ohms setting and checking you get a variable signal with no hiccups from idle to full throttle, and the computer is only a couple hundred. good luck
Old 10-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

checked the cam sensor it is grey ish black, alredy replaced the IDM. already checked the throttle pedal, i replaced it from a wrecked 2000 model truck i have, im going to take this new cps back and tell them i want a diffrent one it came from the zone so it shouldnt be a problem, i also found a dirty contact to the uvcg cleaned it with brake clean and reconnected, havent ran any test since lastnight thought i might change the cps be4 running any more test. what kinda power should this truck have? it feels really week, when i hook a small car or van to it, it does good to pull small hills. but i guess if it was running correctly it would make a diffrence.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:57 AM

you know it sounds like issues with your computer. i had a new chip burned by dp tuner aqfter installation of my new injectors and my truck just didn't run right after that. is idled high it blew blue smoke and if you started it in the garage the smell of the exhaust would just burn your eyes and smell bad.
i spoke to jody at DP and he sent me a new burn, it cleared thins right up. truck runs good now. i think he said its because the truck is actually overfueling that the exhaust smells like that. this happened when i went from split shot injectors to single shots. is there a possibility the truck has a bad computer or faulty programming for the injectors? just thinking out loud....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.