What To Do ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What To Do ?

First of all, HI to all the Powerstroke.org members.

This past Thursday I just purchased my DREAM truck after 3 hard years of saving. While I wish I could have bought a brand new one, the 2004 you see in my sig is as close to new as I can afford. I purchased it at a local Ford dealer in my area and it only has 37K on the clock.

When it comes to Diesels, I am a complete NEWBIE. I work at a dealership parts department myself and have over 20 years experience combined as a tech and parts seller.

Here is the problem; When I went out this morning, there was a small puddle of oil right behind the left front tire area. I checked it out and it is P/S fluid. It's leaking from the Hydroboost (I think that's what it's called) and dripping down the electrical harness and front leaf spring. After I got down there to check it better, I noticed some motor oil leaks also. Those seem to be coming from the head/block area ? Is that possible ? It's not pouring out, but there is a drip.

Even though I purchased at a dealer, the truck was sold AS IS. When I checked the bottom of the truck, it was clean. Obvoisly it had been detailed recently and the motor washed.

I really need advice here. What are my options at this point ?

1. Should I go back and raise hell to see if they will fix it ?
2. I'm supposed to give them a check on Monday for 5K, should I force them to fix it before I pay ?
3. Should I purchase and extended Ford warranty and try to get it fixed like that ?
4. Will the Ford powertrain warranty cover it ?
5. Should I just bite the bullet and fix it myself ?

I'm thinking they will not work with me. The manager told me they where making very little money on the deal and the truck was a "Hot" item being a "Harley Davidson" model. I couldn't even get them to give me second key because again, he said he couldn't afford it in the deal. BTW, I paid 32K out the door for it, which I thought was an excellent deal after I had been looking for one like this for several months.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME

Rob.

Last edited by OutlawPony; 03-04-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
I don't know what advice to give you... there will be others who will come along who will understand the situtation better.

In the meantime:
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 03-04-2007, 05:20 PM
im fat and ugly

aw man id raise hell, to them its sold and they want to get it out the door and yur the driver so i think they willl please you to get it movin

and
Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think that truck still has the 100k mile warranty on the engine.
I think it is 5yr \ 100k.

My 03 went in the dealer at 96k and got turbo pedistal seals put in under warranty last year. Think i had to pay a 50.00 deductable.

should cover oil leaks, check with the service dept.

The hydrobooster is probably not covered under warranty 3yr/36k

Also to my knowledge i think head gaskets are rare to find leaking on these engines atleast i havent seen one yet.

And another thing... It aint your fault they arent making much money off the sale, if the warranty don't cover it tell them you are going to return it because it has problems and you were not aware of this until after owning it overnight.

Don't be afraid to tell them what you wan't or else the truck goes back cause the dealers take advantage of the general public all the time,lie ,cheat and steal. The last thing you need is a truck with blown head gaskets needing thousands of dollars of work.

Last edited by jacobnbr1; 03-04-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First I'd raise hell then tell them if they dont fix it you want your money back. I know here in Florida you have 30 days by state law to take it back if your not satisfied. Stick to your guns, Im sure they would rather fix what little things are wrong with it then try to sell it to someone else. You also have 5yr/100,000mi warranty on the powertrain.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well ...

I just found out from the Ford dealer that the leak from the Hydrobooster is NOT covered under the Powertrain warranty.

NOW WHAT ?

I'm kind of leaning towards holding their 5K until they fix it, but I'm not sure I should do that ?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:25 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
"F" 'em!!! Go in, with the $5K in hand and say, OK...I'll give you this (show check), when you fix that (point to truck)!" If they say no, then hand them the keys and take your check with you. I'll bet they will run after you before you get to the door. Money talks. If you indicate that them not fixing the truck is a deal breaker, they will usually come around. If they don't, don't buy it yet, wait until you see it back on the used lot, and go in with all your current paper work, showing the current sale price, and say, "Ok, I want it now, and will will NOT pay a penny over the ORIGINAL price. Acutally, I'll pay $1000 LESS than the original, b/c I KNOW this truck has some problems!" That should set 'em straight!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Ok do this and stay civil about it. Ask to talk to the Dealership Manager, the guy that is always hiding in his office. When You talk to him, ask if you are able to get the extended warranty on your truck. Being the orginal 3/36k is gone. They may allow you to add the extended warranty. If they tell you that your not able to get the extended warranty, then ask them to fix the oil leak as that is under warranty. I understand that this truck was purchased as is, but was it a certified used truck from a Ford Dealer. If so then they missed the leak on there certification inspection, this leak should have been repaired before the truck was put on the lot for sale.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:01 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

the oil leaks not that big of a deal, covered under powertrain warranty with 100.00 deductible, hydroboost leaking i would have to raise a little cain about and see if theyll fix before any money is swapped
Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I was just told by the used car manager that they will NOT cover the P/S leak. We got into a HEATED argument when I said I was not going to pay the 5K I still owe until it was fixed. At that point I walked out of the office before it got any worse.

I just can't drive this around leeking oil, I'm going to have to fix it myself.

What else can I do ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.