2003 f-550 7.3 high preasure oil pump issue (please help) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 f-550 7.3 high preasure oil pump issue (please help)

Hello all and great forum to the admin.

I have an issue with a 2003 f-550 7.3 wrecker. It had the hpop leaking at the common o-rings and the mounting flange gasket so i replaced the above parts and replaced the o-ring on the plug on the bottom right of the hpop
( the one the manual says not to remove ) it had a leak there also and i was content to fix all whilst i was there.. after taking the plug out i found a spring and a funny looking bone shaped thing in it. I made sure to put it back just as i found it. Positive on that and positive in the outlet connectors.

Anyways i get the truck back together and i filled the resovior with oil and the truck wont start. I rechecked everything again and came to a footnote on alldata that states ' make sure the hpop gear is seated fully before the bolt is tightened' I wasn't sure if i did this so i tore down again to access the bolt and removed it to see the gear was about 1/4 out from being flush with the hpop shaft. I put a long bolt in it to try and seat the gear by turning the pump shaft and pushing on the gear but i cant find any key way or locking mechinism on it at all.

Does anyone know if the gear should be flush with the hpop shaft?
Does anyone know what the key way is? I had the pumo in my hands and i recall the shaft being round and not having a key way, slots or anything.

I confirmed the low hpop flow by removing the line to the left bank and placing the line in a container and cranking the engine for 20 seconds and it pumped 1/4 of a quart of oil. ( i am certain it should have done better than that, maybe even blew a hole in the container)

This is a wrecker, it has about 130k on it and run just fine before i tore it down.. just leaked oil.

I am also an ase automechanic I have limited knowledge of diesel trucks but have been working on our own 7.3's since 1995.
I also have some knowledge in cat-3126 engines.
I would rather work on the 7.3 trucks vs the 3126 cat trucks anyday for sure...

Thanks for the help in advance and again great forum..
chris

Last edited by jacobnbr1; 03-03-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I sure can't help ya, but I will bump this one back up to the top to see if anyone can
Old 03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

first yes the the hpop drive gear does have to be all the way back against pump shaft ,it doesnt have a keyway and is pinch fit , make sure thats right , as far as pulling the plug out of the bottom right ,ive seen nothing but problems by removing that plug , even if it was put back right the threads are always damaged and plug wont stay in for long , seen several blow out from people doing exactly what you did ,
Old 03-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
first yes the the hpop drive gear does have to be all the way back against pump shaft ,it doesnt have a keyway and is pinch fit , make sure thats right , as far as pulling the plug out of the bottom right ,ive seen nothing but problems by removing that plug , even if it was put back right the threads are always damaged and plug wont stay in for long , seen several blow out from people doing exactly what you did ,
I wanted to update this and close the issue cause i have it fixed now.

As scuffy had qoted problems occour when you remove that plug and i am here to tell you it is true. I am not sure what goes on as i only changed the oring and i didn't touch any thing else inside that area.

Anyways i bought a new hpop from diesel injection service in cincinnati for 359.00 vs fords price of 700.00 and installed it and it started right up. Their phone number is 1-513-281-5315..

So there is no keyways on the gear and the gear does not fit flush with the hpop shaft, there is about an 1/8 inch offset, also don't take that plug out as outlined by the papers when you buy o-rings. If it is leaking at that o-ring just get a rebuilt pump ...

thanks all for the help and hopefully this thread will help someone in the future.

chris
Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

good deal glad you got it running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.