2002 7.3 powerstroke uses alot of oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 powerstroke uses alot of oil

I have a with a 2002 7.3 powerstroke owned sense it was new. It started using alot of at 42000 it uses 1 quart to 100 miles almost exactly. It has been several ford dealers all the injectors o rings were replaced and number 8 injector recently been replaced. The turbo has been checked on the intake no oil leaks. The turbo was checked for end play as well. Were really at a loss the blow-by was also checked and it checks out all ok. Any Ideas or any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
Seeing any extra smoke from the exh.? Oil pooling in the valley? Oil in coolant? Just a few of the places I'd look anyways.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no that is thing that baffles me most is no extra smoke from the exhaust no oil the valley I'm not sure were would it all go it would have to drain from the valley I'm assuming your refering to lifter valley ? no oil in the coolant either.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Yeah, Several potential leak points in the engine/lifter valley. Has a drain hole at the rear that would make it look like the rear main seal was leaking. What oil are you using?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oil

He is using 10/30 non synthic. The are no mods done to it at all and there is no leaks that we and see or find the dealer went as far laying down a new white sheet and let it run to find nothing. the tailpipe is black but how can I tell if it soot from oil or the just plain exhaust ?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 PM

Hard to tell if its a small amount being burnt. Try 15W-40 (diesel rated - Delo and Rotella are popular diesel oils) at next oil change. Hopefully the thicker/heavier oil will slow any leaks or burning.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 PM

I agree completely with nccatfan. Though it may not seem like it there is a huge difference in weights of oils and additive packs for gas and diesel engines. Diesel oils are better suited to perform in higher heat conditions and are packed with additive to trap soot and HC's that might be floating around in the oil. Also 10w30 engine oil can thin up when overheated and suck right up past the rings. I would use 15W40 in all Ford diesels unless you are operating in a cold weather climate where temperatures are reaching below freezing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.