95 7.3t f250 quit running...cranks, and i'm stuck! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 7.3t f250 quit running...cranks, and i'm stuck!

Hey all, just bought an 1995 f250 with an obdii plug and a remanufactured engine that said 1997 CA emissions compliant, though an earlier chassis dated 05 1995. i have a little experience working on cars and motorcycles (components, testing, etc). It's an old engine with an odo turned back and def some mystery....

Long story short i had 'water in fuel' light on intermittently for a few days...then i tried for the first time the rear fuel tank...and it ran fine for a few minutes. shut it down then started it up, and it died 3 stoplights down - puttered and puttered to nothing like it ran out of diesel. tried the schrader valve (squirts fuel when depressed and a friend cranked the engine), cranks hard and strong, switched back to front tank, but no go.

Stuck at someone's house spending the night etc and he gave me two days. eek. have some money to spend, but want to get it running to drive it home (2 hour drive).

got the chilton manual, ANY help in terms of direction (check voltage, drain this or that and WHAT the components look like since i haven't worked on this engine, i will gladly donate a few dollars to a paypal or buy an account here if someone leads to a fix, thanks anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the549 View Post
Hey all, just bought an 1995 f250 with an obdii plug and a remanufactured engine that said 1997 CA emissions compliant, though an earlier chassis dated 05 1995. i have a little experience working on cars and motorcycles (components, testing, etc). It's an old engine with an odo turned back and def some mystery....

Long story short i had 'water in fuel' light on intermittently for a few days...then i tried for the first time the rear fuel tank...and it ran fine for a few minutes. shut it down then started it up, and it died 3 stoplights down - puttered and puttered to nothing like it ran out of diesel. tried the schrader valve (squirts fuel when depressed and a friend cranked the engine), cranks hard and strong, switched back to front tank, but no go.

Stuck at someone's house spending the night etc and he gave me two days. eek. have some money to spend, but want to get it running to drive it home (2 hour drive).

got the chilton manual, ANY help in terms of direction (check voltage, drain this or that and WHAT the components look like since i haven't worked on this engine, i will gladly donate a few dollars to a paypal or buy an account here if someone leads to a fix, thanks anyways.

Sounds like you got some bad fuel. There is a fuel filter drain valve at the rear of the fuel filter housing. It has a yellow handle. 1/4 turn and it drains all the fuel from the filter housing out a tube onto the ground. Switch back to the good tank, drain the valve and fill it at few times. that should clean out the lines. There is still some in the heads but they are sealed and have check valves so your just gonna have to crank it and maybe get some ether and LIGHTLY spray into the air intake to help it bleed the bad fuel out. DISCLAIMER!!!!!! Be very careful with ether. just a touch too much and you can have flashbacks of a summer BBQ and missing eyebrows. You can also due damage to your engine. After a little while it will start and more than likely run rough. just rev the engine and it will eventually clean up. Then go on your way and get that tank cleaned out. prob has water or something in it.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So i drained the filter housing twice, new filter, put a bit of seafoam in, and cycled the pump a bunch of times....and in the process melted 3 gp plug harnesses on the vc gasket. don't know if some were already dead....now i need to replace them, and gp's as well...

I did cycle though and while i did smell burnt plastic i didn't get the thing started...hopefully i don't have any other problems. searching for a gasket with wiring set today.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh and no error codes. also picked up a cps just in case.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE: I've cranked and cycled this mother over sooo much...realized the following:

-wait to start light DOES come on
-rpms showed ~ 250 on both cps during crank, cranks strong
-the truck died within 5 minutes after a being restarted after a LONG drive, would previously start up with HALF a crank! Although the day of death it took about 4 cranks.
-The fuel filter assy had over and inch of water in it before draining!
-I THINK i tried it with ICP unplugged (that is, if I tried the right plug...)
-flushed out fuel filter 3 times and new filter, i will check pressure tomorrow though it shoots out schrader valve (check while cranking?)
-turns over on a sparing shot of ether

STILL WORKING ON IT!

Last edited by the549; 09-23-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.