HELP! - I think my VGT is sticking... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Sparkplugs Not Required

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! - I think my VGT is sticking...

Hi everyone....haven't been on in a while.

I've got a 2005 6.0 with a gauges, SCT Xcal3 with Eric's tunes and a 4" exhaust. After hard accelerating and you let off or the truck shifts and RPM's decrease, the turbo will not build boost when you step back on the throttle. It will have a deep throaty sound and sometimes black smoke out the tailpipe. Also when this happens the exhaust temps start going up. If you play with the accelerator or slow the truck down and get back in the throttle, the turbo will act normal and off you go, like normal. I also have a P005 code, saying some fuel check valve or something..........

My gut feeling is that the vanes are sticking in the turbo, but I could be all wrong. I took the intake tube off tonight and checked the turbo shaft, and all seems to be well. Impeller looks good and minimal end play.

Do you think I'm right? I've got to get her fixed tomorrow cause I'm leaving on a trip Wednesday pulling my camper to Ohio.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Sparkplugs Not Required

bumpity bump bump..........
Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM

CAT- Sounds like your concern is with the EGR valve or system. While a sticking turbo can cause lack of power it usually doesn't blow a lot of black smoke out the tailpipe. Thats usually EGR. Do you hear any popping noises and how much black smoke are you getting? Is there just a little when your tipping in or is it like fogging for mosquito's? What code were you getting again? P005 is not a valid code.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

vgt sticking

i believe i am having the some what same problem. do you get a flutter on decel. from what i no you have to remove the turbo and pull of the turbine housing end. chech out the unison ring look for excessive soot and oil build up. see if you can slide the unison ring freely or does it hang up.chances are if its hanging up you wont get any codes.if you still have an egr in your system this will cause excessive crap in you turbo. plus the closed pcv system doesnt help either.do any of your shifts hang before shifting? hope this helps. there is also a small pin that goes through an elongated hole. make sure the hole is not worn out if so ford sells a repair kit. sorry not sure of the part number.good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.