recurring P1211, SES and loss of power need solid help here. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
recurring P1211, SES and loss of power need solid help here.

OK...I'm back again...along with this *!!@#!@^&*&%#$%%^ P1211. it's gotten progressively worse in frequency. Sometimes it'll leave me dead in the water other times I can limp home @ 25-35mph. I've taken it in so many times I should own part of the shop. Since this first started, they've thrown just about every part imaginable at it and nothing is fixed. The IPR has been replaced twice, by different shops, the cps, PCM, EBP sensor, IPC etc..etc...all to no avail (except for emptying my bank account). Yes, the oil is full and so is the resuvoir(sp..sorry). I've already spent almost 4000.00 to fix it and still it's undrivable(this is my bread, butter and pay the bills truck and I need it FIXED ONCE AND FOR ALL! I returned it to Allegheny Ford, for the umpteenth time. and yes, if there were another shop in the Pittsburgh area able to work on 20' box trucks I'd take it there in a heartbeat!. It's a 2003 E550 with a 7.3, found out that the engine has a 99 build date, or so the sticker on the valve cover says..not sure whether that makes any difference or not. there's 256k on the odo but who knows about the engine. When I returned it to the dealer I had a list of things for them to check/test...none of which they apparently did before. Starting off with a check of the electrical wires and connectors to the IPR(came back as good) also on the list...replace the HPOP oil line O-Rings( they both appear dry but..., Dead-head test of the HPOP, a cylinder contribution test to check the injectors These were also said to be replaced with the engine @190k, but then again...who knows? Re-O-ring all the injectors, replace any bad injectors. Anything else anyone can possibly think of please let me know as this thing is driving me nuts and bankrupt. At this point I'm about ready to rip it out and put a gas engine in it. I need some help on this...from someone who isn't selling me more parts I don't need and that doesn't fix the problem.
Thanks all.
PS if anyone knows a mechanic in the pittsburgh area who actually KNOWS what they're doing, and can work on a 20 footer I could use the heads up.

Last edited by howardtm; 02-12-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Are you sure the HPOP is good and its providing the correct pressures to the injectors. I don't know just a stab in the dark.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:17 AM

Not really sure what IS and what ISN'T good on this blasted thing. I'm hoping that the dead head pressure test will tell if the HPOP is good. From various posts on this site, it seems that its one of the things that needs to be done, along with a cyl contribution test. The latter I assume is to check for bad injectors. I need to know just what tests and checks I need to have them do...since apparently they're not competent enough to know to do them on their own. I'm hoping that if they actually check everything possible in regards to the P1211 code and loss of power, evenyually they'll find the problem (not holding my breath though). Any further ideas/suggestions out there?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

there is two things that can cause a p1211 or let me say the two most common things is hpop itself and also fuel pressure if they know how to deadhead the pump they shold be able to find the problem , you colud also have a internal leak in the engine on the oil galley plugs , fought one for awhile and found the leak was internal , reason for not seeing initially , ask them if they can apply air pressure to the hih pressure system with the lines blocked and if there is a leak in the engine it should show itself
Old 02-13-2007, 06:03 AM

Possible internal leak??...suddenly I see major dollar signs flash before my eyes. I'm starting to seriously consider scraping the engine and just having a brand new one installed. With what this has cost me so far..and what its surely gonna cost this time, I could have just about bought one. If the problem isn't fixed this time, I think I'll just park it til I can somehow afford a new engine...a COMPLETE, ready-to-drop-in, engine. At any rate, they're "supposed" to do the deadhead pressure test today, if they didn't do it yesterday. I stopped by and the "tech" (and I use the term loosely) was in the process of replacing the HP oil line O-rings. The areas around them were pretty dry and free of oil, but I put it on my list anyway. If I recall the list..1.Check the electrical wires and connectors all the way to the IPR, 2. Do a deadhead pressure test on the HPOP.(I was/am assuming that this would not only show a leak, but on which side it was leaking??) 3. Replace the HP oil line O-Rings as these, according to this site, are prone to leak after a time. 4. Do a cylinder "contribution" test..again assuming that this would reveal any bad injectors(again assuming this has more to do with fuel delivery than oil pressure to the injector. Which brings me to this...the fuel pump is basically new, however, and just tossing this out here, the fuel pressure regulator, if there IS one, wasn't replaced...could a bad regulator be a cause of my headaches?? )5. Replace any bad injectors found..(Duh). 6. Re O-Ring ALL injectors..(on the premise that if 1 or 2 injectors are leaking, the rest are probably not far behind) 7. remove the top of the HPOP resovoir(sp) (it appears to come off), drain, flush and clean it out, filling it with fresh oil. (might be especially important since I don't have a clue as to the internal condition, or actual mileage, of the engine that was put in it..as far as I know, the resovour could have 2" of sludge in it) I'm trying to gain as much insight and suggestions as to what to have them check since it seems they won't check it unless I specifically tell them to. So if ANYONE in the know about such things can recommend anything I should add, PLEASE let me know ASAP. Personally, If I had more than a basic knowledge of mechanics,(and any knowledge of Ford Diesels) basic tools and a dry, warm place to work on it, I'd do myself a favor and do all this myself..save myself tons of money and get an education at the same time.
OOPS...by the way Scott, you mentioned "deadhead the pump", are you referring to the HPOP or the fuel Pump? I ask this because after having the fuel pump replaced, the SES light came on again and it lost ALL power 149 miles later (FYI...a shop in Winston-Salem replaced the pump and the IPR)

Last edited by howardtm; 02-13-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

when i say deadhead the pump ,i am reffering to hpop, and also if they check fuel pressure at each head that will tell them if its a regulator problem,not a bad idea to have reservoir pulled and checked ,but more and likely not going to be an issue but there is a chance of a retriction where oil goes into hpop if your hpop o-rings were leaking you would know it ,oil would be dripping o the ground ,and that still wont cause a no start or p1211just a leak
Old 02-13-2007, 06:41 AM

Thanks Scott. The o-rings appeared to be in good condition, or at least the ones the ones I could see. I'm trying to start at the "front" and work back, having them check/test/replace ANYTHING that may be at fault here(other than me for buying this thing in the first place..experience is expensive). Can you think of anything here that I've missed on my list of things to have done/checked?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:47 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

not right off other than if you had it here i could fix it , alot of times its hard to diag over the net , unless the oil pressure regulator is sticking and causing pump to work to hard to keep up with the demand of oil pressure it needs to run right and not throw out that code
Old 02-13-2007, 07:06 AM

Scott...be careful what you wish for...'cause ya might just get it! let me know what shop you work at and the phone#/address. I manage to get down to NC a couple of times a month. Not sure what will happen with where its at now, and it may, or may not make it down that far, but I'm willing to give it a shot real soon.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:11 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

give me a call
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.