7.3L died 110 miles from town - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L died 110 miles from town

I was driving my 01 7.3L at 65 cruise control. Check Engine light came on and lost power, pulled over and Ive got oil all over top side of motor, no oil on dipstick. I pulled a uncontrollable ICP or IPC code any help would be appreciated my truck sittin on the shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 01:30 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidadonahue View Post
I was driving my 01 7.3L at 65 cruise control. Check Engine light came on and lost power, pulled over and Ive got oil all over top side of motor, no oil on dipstick. I pulled a uncontrollable ICP or IPC code any help would be appreciated my truck sittin on the shoulder.
where you at. I am sorry about your problem, I can't help you out, I could only speculate I will sit by and learn on this one.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Banned

You probably blew one of the o rings for the high pressure lines that leave the high pressure oil pump. Two are on the drives side of the pump...right next to the fuel filter...and the other is just a plug on the back of the high pressure oil pump.....there is a good chance that if you fill the motor and high pressure oil resevour with oil.....and crank it a bit...it will fire and get you home. stop every 20 miles or so and check the oil level....once you get home get it to a shop first thing in the morning....those lines probably were leaking for a while before the motor shut off....it shut of due to not enough oil to run the injectors
Old 02-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im in Alaska, but temps were 15-20 degrees so I dont think that is a factor. Im hoping it is a fitting or hose of some kind, But Im worried its the turbo. I only have 52k on the truck and im diesel ignorant, but Ive done all maintenence recomended by dealer. I just installed superchip programmer in december, but was running tow safe mode.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Marc, any idea what I should expect from Dealer. Would like to make sure I dont get screwed
Old 02-11-2007, 01:53 PM
duct tape & zip ties

The O-ring kit I purchased from the Ford Dealer to fix my oil leak which was not as bad as yours was like 15 bucks, to replace the O-rings took about an hour to do in my shop behind my house. I would figure if you take it to a dealer probablly around a hundred bucks.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

speaking from personal experience with dealers...bring your own vaseline..and don't expect a kiss afterwards.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
The O-ring kit I purchased from the Ford Dealer to fix my oil leak which was not as bad as yours was like 15 bucks, to replace the O-rings took about an hour to do in my shop behind my house. I would figure if you take it to a dealer probablly around a hundred bucks.
the o ring kit im reffering to for him retails for about 50 bucks and is going to require about 2-3 hours of labor at most dealers. there is a special tool required for the repair...so doing it yourself isnt easy....
Old 02-11-2007, 02:00 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Yer talking about the actaul HPOP O-rings, I thought you meant the HPOP lines, that are the O-rings I had to replace there are 4 of them.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

Just wondering what part of Alaska? I live in Anchorage and if you need any help just let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.