Oil Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Oil Leak

Hello Gentlemen,

I have a problem. Itís a 2002 F350 with a 7.3 with about 100,000 miles on it. I installed a new radiator yesterday and cleaned the motor with gunk. Life was good Today when I came out of work I find that oil is now leaking from between the motor and the trans (auto). I would say about 3 oz. of oil (not trans. Fluid) was under the truck... No other problems or symptoms other than a slight rough idle in the last few days. Could the high pressure oil pump be a possibility? If so how tough to change the O-rings? Do you know where I could get an exploded view or such?
Thanks for any help in advance. I do appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Jon

The

valley has a drain hole in the back left corner. Oil from up top runs out that hole and down the trans. Lay up on top with a flash light and see if it is leaking from the hpop.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:19 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Sounds to me if the oil leak was near the trans, it is the end of the HPOP. On my 2002 7.3L I found my leak which was dripping in the same location as yours. Was coming from a brass colored plug on the passenger side valve cover. There is an o-ring that seals this plug when it is in the valve cover. A 5/8 box end wrench got the plug out and I replaced the o-ring with ones I got from the dealer. Bad News I had to buy all 6 O-rings for the Hpop which cost me only about 15 bucks. Good news it only took me about 5 minutes to swap out this o-ring. Bad news for me was it took me 6 months to find the oil leak. That was until I found this site.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Jon

Well,

it could be several things on top the motor, not just the hpop but thats the most common.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You guys think that sucks, I have a nasty oil leak from the hpop that I put off. I decided to investagate further when my milage started getting bad and found that my turbo had gone bad, the wheel was thrashed so I parked it where I stopped and yanked the turbo, 2hrs in the driveway, not bad for a first timer. Anyway how do I replace the oil seals. Parts should be here tommorow and I miss the truck bad. Thanks for the help
Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

99-03 7.3 oil leak diagnosis

Check out this link. It may help you out.Thanks to Mark on this one

DFUSER.com - Performance Diesel Products and Parts

This link has the o-rings, thanks to Maintain for this.

http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid...Oil%20Pump.pdf

And this one will help you through the install.

Hope that helps you out.

Gord.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WelI, I cleaned the motor well and checked closely for the leak. Of the two HPOP lines the one toward the rear was leaking. I made the tool needed out of an old 9/16 open ended wrench. I donít think that oil pump ever did quit oozing oil where you are support to have clean dry threads for the Loc-tite. Since I had the oil lines off I checked the front HPOP line fitting. It was loose. I mean a Ĺ a turn loose. I tightened it and re-assembled.
The big leak is gone. I do still have a small leak somewhere. I will get one drop after the truck sits all night. I have not been able to pin point the seepage yet.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:23 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

did you replace the o-ring on the back side of the hpop ,its an 18 mm ,it can leak also, but if its not leaking , they do take awhile to quit dripping if leak was bad enough takes some time for it all to run out of bell housing
Old 02-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Great, glad you got most of it delt with. good luck with the little one, but I agree with Scott. Probably just leftover running out.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

f350 2001 real oil seal leak

I had my rear oil seal changed because of a leak, the new one leaked or 'blew out" again. it was the same signs of damage as was the previous seal. the oil leaks down from i corner on the oil pan behind the starter. after running for about 5 mins it starts leaking, after turning it off, it continues to leak, about 1- 1/2 cups of oil. This was the same problem as with the previous oil seal. After changing the oil seal the first time it ran for about 30-45 mins before it started leaking as before again. What to do next??? two mechanics, both quit the job, so now i needhelp.

Bahamas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.