2002 won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 won't start

This is my first post but I use the fourm for info all the time. Here is whats up the truck runs fine but for the past month it would at times not start just cranks no tack thought it was the cps. it would sit a little while crank it a few times then it would start seamed to be a hot start proplem. so the other day it would not start at all so i changed the cps but still nothing just cranks and no tack...I will try to check codes tomorrow....any ideas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I don't think the tac will move on an 02. Yeah check for codes and post up what you get so the Tech guys can help ya out. Maybe its a fuel related problem, but start with the codes first.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

checked with code reader no codes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

check fuel pressure ,no codes alot of times means it could be a fuel pressure concern, but no rpms signal mkes me wonder if you have another problem, does the wait to start light come on
Old 02-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes the wait to start light comes on truck just cranks.......should I check the oil level in the hpor.....
Old 02-08-2007, 09:14 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Have you checked the oil level, low oil level will cause this. Vital Idle I know on my 02 the tach don't move until it starts up. What is the voltage in the batteries. I believe you need 10.5 volts in order for the PCM to work. If you have low battery voltage the truck will crank but will not fire. If you are not pulling any codes you may need to do the old school trouble shooting. Grab a volt meter and start checking voltage at the batteries, the starter, check the voltage at the batteries while cranking, check the voltage at the glow plug relay as well. My brother had an 02 and when the Glow Plug Relay went out on his truck he could crank it all day and it would not start. I would check out all those things then go from there.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:18 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

yes check the oil in the reservoir ,if its not full that could be part of your problem ,like big country said ,oil level and quality of oil could be the cause of no oil in the reservior ,if its ful ,move on to batery voltage and other checks
Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok I thought I would start with the elect stuff....bat 12.59. 10.3-10.6 when cranking have the truck on charger now.....gloplug relay 12.59 one side .01-.03 on the other side with key on....with key in start position 12.59 hot side
0.11 on the other is this the problem?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:55 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I have never done these tests myself so I do not know the results you should get at the glow plug relay. As for the battery voltage I would wait before you make a determination. When you have a fully charged batteries then go back out and redo the checks and see what you have. Let us know the results of the checks after you have a fully charged batteries.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrepsz View Post
ok I thought I would start with the elect stuff....bat 12.59. 10.3-10.6 when cranking have the truck on charger now.....gloplug relay 12.59 one side .01-.03 on the other side with key on....with key in start position 12.59 hot side
0.11 on the other is this the problem?
Sounds like your relay is bad. With the key on you should have 12.5 volts on the opposite large post of the hot side connected to the battery. It should stay hot for 90 seconds or more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.