first time psd owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
first time psd owner

hi everyone. im new to forum,i got alot of questions about the truck i just bought.its a 99 f350 build date 4/98 157,000 miles.this is the first psd i have owned. with the age and high miles that it has what kind of maintenance and
upgrades should i start with and what kind of oil and filters should i use.

thx kmp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That isn't high mileage if the truck has been taken care of my friend! For maintenance- hopefully you went over the truck before buying and looked for oil leaks, turbo damage, and all the usual stuff (brakes, ball joints, etc). I would start by pulling the intake off and checking the turbo wheel for signs of dusting- the blades on the compressor wheel should be straight and smooth- any jagged edges or missing pieces of blade means its time for a turbo rebuild. Then shine a flashlight in the valley of the motor and look closely for any wet spots (it should be dry in a perfect world). If you find puddles, try to soak up what you can, then give the engine a hose-down with Simple Green (cover powersteering pump and intake (if open element) with a plastic bag, spray on Simple Green, let soak, rinse off, then start the truck and let it run to help dry up the water. Remove the bags before you start it! ) Don't spray cold water on a hot engine either! Doing this will allow you to pin-point the location of the leak. Oil is a personal choice, I use Shell Rotella 15/40- Rotella and Delo are the preferred Dino oil, Rotella Synth or Schaeffer's seem to be the preferred synthetics. Use Motorcraft oil filters ($10 at Walmart, part number FL-1995).
As for mods- what are your goals or plans? The common mods are gauges (boost, pyro, and trans temp), a good intake kit (I like the DIY 6637), 4" turbo back exhaust, a good tuner (DP Tuner, Tony Wildman, or PHP) and trans mods (if you have an auto) to help keep the trans happy.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im glad to here about the miles.i have been a little weary about high mile diesel since the 1983 6.9 i had went thru 5 injector pumps and a overhall at 80,000 miles.it looks like it has been taken care of.but it does have a gooseneck ball on it.so it has pulled some trailers in its life.i would like to get more power on take off, but once the turbo comes on it does great.my truck weight is 10,500lbs at minimum.what brand of exhaust and gauges do you suggest? also it is a 6sp,do i still need the trans temp gauge? how big of chip should i get with the amount of weight i have on it? thx kmp
Old 05-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Welcome to the org bud...
Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 AM
wriott

welcome to the addiction
Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 AM

No trans temp gauge needed on a 6 speed. Lots of good exhausts out there- shoot for a 4" turbo back system- MBRP, MKO, and Silverline seem to get good reviews. For gauges, I like my Isspro's, but Dipricol and Autometer are also good choices.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
Bought mine with 222,000 miles and still runs strong! Got a new trans (6-speed) before I bought it. Needed a few other small parts replaced on the eng. but otherwise a well-spend $9000!! Welcome to the org.!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:45 PM

things to check
ball joints, and hubs , orings on the back of the fuel filter bowl,
warped rotors and don't be surprised if the waterpump takes a dive .

checkout dieselsite.com and coolant filter.
powerslot brakes and hawk pads are nice once rotors warp.
s&B , afe2 and ford ais are all nice intakes ...ditch that oem pos it is notn but trouble waiting to spring.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.