White smoke under load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke under load

I have an Early 99 that drives fine, even when i dog it, as long as it is not towing. As soon as i bolt on 6 or 7,000lbs, at 55mph or so, the engine starts losing power, and eventually blows plumes of white smoke while a loud howling comes from under the hood. There is 0 power at this point. If i back out of the skinny pedal, sometimes the vehicle will clear up and start behaving right. It has been doing this for about 3,000 miles now. The CEL comes on, but goes away as soon as the howling stops.

The engine has no modifications, and about 120k miles. A new alternator is all that i have put on, but i suspect the water pump has been changed as well. It is the original engine and transmission. I have scanned for codes, but it comes up blank. On rare occasion, the engine will exhibit this behavior without a load, but only if i really whomp on the throttle.

The truck has a post recall ford CPS in it. The oil is Delo400, and is changed on schedule. Oil and Fuel filters are in good shape. Air filter a Motorcraft and is in good shape, and does not appear to be collapsing/blocking flow. Coolant level is exactly where it has been for at least 20,000 miles, with no fuel in the reservoir. There is a very light bit of dust inside the intake. and can only be seen by wiping the intake hose with a while cloth. As best i can tell, the turbo compressor wheel looks good, with sharp blades and no obvious damage. The exhaust side of the turbo appears to be missing 2 bolts. I am unsure of how to approach that issue, and if it is related or not. I am trying to find a place/someone in the Charlotte, NC area that can help me out with a buzz and KOEO test, and a contribution test.

Honestly, i am wondering where to look next with this issue. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Honestly, this seems better suited to the 7.3 engine forum, I'll post there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.