Questions before buying a truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions before buying a truck

I'm looking at buying a 1999 F-250 7.3 5 speed manual with 230k miles. Not sure still if it's an early or late 99 since I can't go see it being on deployment, but it's exactly what I want, for the right price and I can have someone check it out and pick it up. I'm new to the scene, being this will be my first diesel. I know it's got the trusty reliable 7.3, but I don't know too much about their transmissions, but I like the manual. Does anyone know more information about them? My rule of thumb that was taught to me was that manuals were always better and more reliable than automatics. Plus you don't lose as much power to the wheels. Should I be worried about the miles on it as per the engine, transmission, axles, hubs or drive train in general? I know if I buy it (most likely I am) I'm going to do a full fluid flush with good fluids, which what does everyone run btw? Also maybe do a decent programmer and maybe look into injectors. Any and all help and info would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to check and keep up on the posts as much as possible. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

Its a 6 speed not a 5 speed in 99.

As for fluids everybody has their own opinion.

Things change with tuners but right now the Hydra chip has run away with the market because you can run tunes from anybody
Old 04-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

are the powerstroke badges on the fender ahead of the front wheel wells or on the front doors?

230k is almost considered low mileage for that truck. it is 15 years old and is going to need stuff done but nothing that is going to financially ruin you.

synthetic 5w40 is good for these engines. the injectors depend on good engine oil to work well and last.

none of the other fluid matter that much. high quality coolant is a good idea.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

Uh the trans fluid matter just as much as engine oil in both the 4r100 and the ZF.

In the engine. 15w40 from your favourite brand if temps are above freezing, 10w30 DIESEL oil if below freezing(your truck will love it), otherwise go for synthetic but then you have 150-200$ oil changes and you don't get double the miles per change like gas engines.

As for the trans the ZF is picky. Full synthetic Mercon 5 with a manual transmission additive otherwise you get a lot of gear rollover nnoise and poor shifting. Redline sells a fluid to work that I'm currently trying and its fine, but not noticeably better than regular ATF.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
are the powerstroke badges on the fender ahead of the front wheel wells or on the front doors?

230k is almost considered low mileage for that truck. it is 15 years old and is going to need stuff done but nothing that is going to financially ruin you.

synthetic 5w40 is good for these engines. the injectors depend on good engine oil to work well and last.

none of the other fluid matter that much. high quality coolant is a good idea.
It has the powerstroke badges forward of the front wheel well. I think my biggest concern is how well the owner took care of it now. When I will need a new clutch or ignitors and stuff like that.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
Uh the trans fluid matter just as much as engine oil in both the 4r100 and the ZF.

In the engine. 15w40 from your favourite brand if temps are above freezing, 10w30 DIESEL oil if below freezing(your truck will love it), otherwise go for synthetic but then you have 150-200$ oil changes and you don't get double the miles per change like gas engines.

As for the trans the ZF is picky. Full synthetic Mercon 5 with a manual transmission additive otherwise you get a lot of gear rollover nnoise and poor shifting. Redline sells a fluid to work that I'm currently trying and its fine, but not noticeably better than regular ATF.
I live in go oh Southern California, so I'm pretty sure 15w40 will work well. I think I'm going to do what me buddy does and get not expensive synthetic , but regular oil and change it more often being that I'm not going to using the truck as a DD.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

these trucks like synthetic oil because of the high pressure oil system.
but you only get 5000 miles even running synthetic because the oil gets sheared far more from such high pressures in the injection system.

maintenance is pretty important on these trucks.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggatony View Post
It has the powerstroke badges forward of the front wheel well. I think my biggest concern is how well the owner took care of it now. When I will need a new clutch or ignitors and stuff like that.
i believe that means it's very likely an early '99

there is no way to really tell when it's going to need a new clutch or any of that kind of stuff. chances are pretty good that the 2-3 and possibly 3-4 synchros are worn out and expect to have to change the glow plugs out.

15w40 works great in these trucks but i personally believe that injector wear is greatly reduced by using 5w40 synthetic. injectors are expensive and are a wear item in these trucks that seem to need replacing around 200,000 miles.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
i believe that means it's very likely an early '99

there is no way to really tell when it's going to need a new clutch or any of that kind of stuff. chances are pretty good that the 2-3 and possibly 3-4 synchros are worn out and expect to have to change the glow plugs out.

15w40 works great in these trucks but i personally believe that injector wear is greatly reduced by using 5w40 synthetic. injectors are expensive and are a wear item in these trucks that seem to need replacing around 200,000 miles.
How much are we talking about for a job on synchros?!?! And then glow plugs, is there a difference in buying good ones, more expensive ones or factory ones? Since I do live in California 15w40 will be fine, how many quarts btw?

Now I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined and can work on just about anything short of rebuilding an engine by myself, but what does the weight of the oil have to do with fuel injectors? Much be a diesel thing...
Old 04-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
15 quarts of oil. At 230k syncros in a zf6 should be fine assuming it was taken care of. The downside of a manual in a diesel is power loss between shifts

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:
schlutzer (04-19-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.