replacing injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
replacing injectors

I am going to order a AE scan tool this week to try and figure out which of my injectors is bad, but I was reading today and read that the scan tool may not give me an accurate answer to my question. I'm still getting the scan tool cause I'm sure I'll need it for something else, but the problem now is my truck is almost impossible to start if I don't have the block heater plugged in and even when I do plug it in it has to run for 15-20 minutes before it will move. So I'm pretty sure it is the oil side of one or more of my injectors but I'm not sure how to know which ones are bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the exact same problem with one if my trucks. If you end up finding out what fixes it for you please post it up. I am suspecting injectors and am keeping my eyes open for a set of good used ones. It's terrible needing to plug it in and the having to wait a while before it will even move. Does yours lack somd power as well?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes it lacks power as well, but from what I have read that is coming from the fuel side of the injector going bad. There is a very good write up on them on damp diesel web site, it explains how they operate very well but it doesn't tell me how to identify which injector is bad.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, bad proof reading on my part. That last post should've been"swamp diesel"website
Old 02-10-2014, 06:16 AM

AE/snap-on/ford level scanner that can buzz test...or Injector Breakout Box Completed With Pics! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (inj break out box).

Also did you ohm out/test/check your GP system to make sure its working too? If you end up doing inj's I'd do GP's to just cuz your that far into it ...but thats just my
Old 02-10-2014, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah,I changed all the glow plugs already,I should've waited until I had the injectors to do it all at once, but my planning is not that great, I'm learning as I go.lol
Old 02-10-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked electrician View Post
Yeah,I changed all the glow plugs already,I should've waited until I had the injectors to do it all at once, but my planning is not that great, I'm learning as I go.lol
thats why this site it great, just ask and learn to try and save $$

also I'd look at doing late 99 inj's while your in there if your looking for more power....just my as if/when I need to I'll update to them if I ever need to, or stage 1's
Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Mine sounded ok on a buzz test but my understanding is that the buzz test only tests the electrical part of the injector. It doesn't really tell you if the mechanical parts are working properly.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:44 AM

you are correct, but a ballance test will tell the other...it does the same as a breakout box but does it through the pcm.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:21 AM

I also did a contribution test and it only showed 3 and 8 out of balance which apparently is typical of a CPS "fluke". But just because they are balanced doesn't mean that they are not all bad or weak right? My glow plugs seemed to check out. Right around two ohms and they are getting power and when first keyed on oull around 160 amps which matched what my other truck was pulling and it starts up with no problems below 0.

If you have any other suggestions for us that would be great. I just think maybe injectors makes the most sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.