e99 turbo upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
e99 turbo upgrade

Ok so taxes are coming soon and i'm going to have some money to finally upgrade my turbo and injectors. my question is what all am i going to need to upgrade the turbo on my e99. also i have read about putting a D66 on this truck but im not too sure that it would even bolt up. so i guess another qusttion is what turbo do i want/need to put on this truck? im only looking for about 450-500HP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

A set of 238s or 250s with either a 100 or 200 nozzles will get you plenty of fuel. You would be good with either the d66 for the e99 from beans(get the billet wheel upgrade also) or go with the brute66 turbo from no limit for the e99(with the billet wheel) and you'll be very close. I.haven't dynoed my truck in a couple years, but since then, I've put bellowed up pipes, a larger fuel pump and diesel sites ww2 billet wheel, and im sure I am closer to the 430 mark with just my 160/80s....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

And yes, the e99 versions of both of those bolt right up....

Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So is the d66 better then the gtp38r for this application? Why/why not? What are the differences between these turbos? What is price difference? Also what would I be able to push out of 160cc injectors with either of these turbos? I'm in the military so I'm on a bit of a budget.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

the 38 R is gonna have to be a full conversion for your truck. it will not fit without the following....late 99 and up pedistal, up pipes(or bellowed pipes), Y pipe(or cfm+ type intake manifold) and the three inch intakes, PLUS the 38R turbo....

the 38R turbo is ball bearing, so you cannot just rebuild it say something goes wrong with it. you have to buy the center section at nearly 800 bux, versus a rebuild for the d66 or no limit tuning version they call a Brute 66 turbo.

Id go with the cheaper option, as I did with my truck. with the 160/100s your setup will look exactly like mine. and your numbers will be right on par with the numbers in my sig. You will be happy. be sure to get good tuning for your setup. I recomend PHP and their hydra chip or tony wildman(I have both their tunes on my truck and I love them both), but no limit tuning is good, as is matt from gear head.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

price is gonna be very similar for each turbo, but its the setup and all the other stuff youre gonna have to do with the 38R thats gonna cost you. if you have the money to go with the 38R option, look in to going with a T4 setup. T4 setup allows you to run a huge selction of chargers and they are easily swapped out once you get the set up in.

if you look at the t4 route, Id look at Diesel innovations setup, with the s366 or the H2E charger....its gonna be alot more this way, but if you have the money, do it this way.....
Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Running 160/100's your never going to consistently see 40+ psi boost. Thats what wipes out a 38R. Keep you oil changed with good synthetic oil and it'll last a long long time. Of course thats if you want to go that route. A D66 is a good choice too.
I only went the 38R route because I initially got all the parts necessary for $150. So if your on a budget then get the D66. If not. Don't let the "non rebuildable" ney sayers deter you. I haven't heard of anyone wiping one out on here anyway.

Have you ever had feelings for a nun??? "Nacho Libre"
Old 04-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Different turbos

I have an e99 with new injectors, T500 HPOP am I reading the thread saying you can switch to a larger turbo without changing everything. Whats a D66 turbo. thanks
Old 04-12-2014, 05:24 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Look up at dyno proven.com, or beans diesel.com....it's called the brute 66...you'll have to have the one for the e99 trucks

The Following User Says Thank You to HVAC SuperTech For This Useful Post:
COP-OUT (04-15-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 05:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

They are on sale now too!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.