Early 99 transfer case w/manual question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Early 99 transfer case w/manual question

Hey guys, been a follower for many years. Had a bunch of 7.3 4X4x, but never a manual till now. Finally after many years of looking, I sold my beloved 2001 7.3, crew 4X4 F250 with AOD4 and bought an early 99 F250 with 7.3 and 6 speed 4x4.

Question I have I cannot find in another posting. A first for me after years of finding just about anything I had a question on the other trucks.

The gent I bought this truck from said this was standard because my truck has a granny or low manual gear with the 6 speed.

If I shift the 4X4 transfer case into 4X4 high it work fine and the 4X4 light comes on. However, if I shift it into 4X4 low, the "4X4 low" light doesn't come on. It just stays in 4X4 high. The seller said that is correct since it has a manual tranny. This is the first manual I've had. It has 180k miles on it. I should mention I have the dash mounted auto 4X4 switch, not the floor mounted gear shift transfer case shifter.

Is this correct? Seems to me the transfer case should shift into 4WD low since its not actually the transmission. I know it did on the auto trannys I've had.

Thanks for the help! This is the best site on the internet. Chuck in Chesapeake.

Last edited by hawlou; 08-30-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

So it's not actually shifting into 4lo? Or the light just isn't coming on?

I have an E99 that I converted to 6 speed from a 2000. So I can say.

E99's do have the ability to light the 4lo bulb (unlike cruise).

And my 6 speed DOES go into 4lo, I have to be stopped though, clutch in obviously.

I'm trying to remember but I'm fairly sure that I ha to have my auto in neutral to get it to go into 4lo.

For me it's all manual T case's though.

Low gear on the tranny + 4lo is pretty hilarious. On my 37's I redline at like 10km/h
Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
So it's not actually shifting into 4lo? Or the light just isn't coming on?

I have an E99 that I converted to 6 speed from a 2000. So I can say.

E99's do have the ability to light the 4lo bulb (unlike cruise).

And my 6 speed DOES go into 4lo, I have to be stopped though, clutch in obviously.

I'm trying to remember but I'm fairly sure that I ha to have my auto in neutral to get it to go into 4lo.

For me it's all manual T case's though.

Low gear on the tranny + 4lo is pretty hilarious. On my 37's I redline at like 10km/h
I dont think its going int 4low. It just stays in 4hi.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Well you kinda need to find out before you can look for the problem. Wouldn't you be upset if you replaced a t case motor and it was just a bulb issue?

The difference between 4hi and 4lo is impossible to miss. But if you really want to be definitive.

Find a parking lot and idle in second gear in 4hi, and then again in 4lo. If you're going the same speed it's not going in and you probably have a motor/switch/wiring issue. If its different you have a bulb issue.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea its not going into 4lo. I know the difference from my auto days. It was explained to me that the granny gear lo in the 6 sp is why the truck didnt have a 4lo in the 4x4. Do you think i have a problem in the t case?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Whoever told you that is full of it anyway lol. Your T case has 4lo.

I've only ever had manual t case's in these but my ranger had an auto one, it was easy enough to disconnect the motor and manually put it in 4lo.

But the fact that you can switch it from 2 hi to 4hi and back would make me say its a switch issue. Generally a Tcase motor will quit altogether, I don't know how common a switch issue is with these trucks. But it's not specific to E99 so if you want more people to chime in I would PM a mod and get this moved to general.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The transfer case is the same for a auto or manual, it's just the input shaft that's a different size. I would suspect your neutral safety switch, like stated above the motor usually fails completely. Try starting your truck without pushing the clutch, take it out of gear first. It shouldn't crank without pushing the clutch. The transfer case is looking for the same signal from the clutch before switching to low range.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry for taking so long to respond but i tried to do what you suggested. The truck would not engage the starter unless the clutch was pushed in...obviously i tried this in neutral. What next?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ok, it's probably not the neutral safety switch then. You need to start isolating the systems so you can find the issue. I would start by hooking up a multimeter to the harness going to the transfercase. Push the clutch and flip the siwtch to low so you can see if the motor is getting power. From there either replace the motor or start tracing stuff back to see why your not getting power. Could be a relay, GEM, wire, switch. You can also see some of the parameters with a scanner.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 AM
Premium Member

I did a bit of looking for you. My money is on the switch itself.

Obviously the free thing to do is to test the wires for power but if you don't have that option or ability getting a switch from the junkyard is a cheap test, maybe free if your yard will let you just swap them out to see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.