no start no wts light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no start no wts light

Some background, bought an early 99 in used 2010 for occasionaly use. It sits most of the time. It started acting wierd & would die occasionally but would always start back up, does it more when raining & ses light comes on. Once i noticed the wait to start light did not come on, & it did not start. A few more key turns & it comes on & starts. Looking around i noticed the bottom screw on the pcm that goes thru the firewall is gone & I assumed the prior owner had a chip on it & removed the chip/tuner & was too lazy to replace it. Some time went by & i recieved a recall notice from ford on cam pos sensor & speed control. When I took it in, i mentioned the missing screw. When I left the dealer they said they put the screw in & all was well. Drive home in the rain with zero issues & think ok this mess is fixed. Next time i go to start the truck service engine soon comes on with the key turn & the wait to start light never comes on. My first guess on this is to remove & try to clean the pcm contacts? What should I clean it with or what else should i check out? This is an extra vehicle so i can take some time. i had to drive my car on the donut today because the truck won't start. I need to learn more about this thing. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

your fuel heater is shorted , unplug the fuel heater ,white connector on back of filter housing and replaced blown fuse , it will start then
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks scuffy, I assume I will need to replace the fuel heater before it gets cold as the long term fix? Sorry for being a big dummy on these, but where is this fuse located & what amp size is it? I assume it is a blade type? Thanks again for the fast fix!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

I think its fuse 22. Its a 20amp
Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked the fuses under the hood. 1 blown 7.5 fuse. Looking from the front of the truck it is the second 7.5 from the front on the left. Everything else looked good. There was a metal fat one I couldn't tell if it was bad or not. I will pick up some fuses tonight & see what happens.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I couldn't find any bad fuses under the dash. Service engine soon light is on & the wait to start light does NOT come on. Anyone know what powers the pcm, it has to be that.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorsaw1 View Post
I couldn't find any bad fuses under the dash. Service engine soon light is on & the wait to start light does NOT come on. Anyone know what powers the pcm, it has to be that.
you are thinking correct , no power to pcm means no wait to start light, fuse 30 in the dash is a 30 amp , check that one, also if you can get to the ipr wiring check the red wire in that connector and tell me if you have 12 volts there
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After doing some more reading in the motor problem section another member had a snow plow wired in to the pcm fuse. I belive I have a radio wire or something that someone smashed in with one of the fuses under the dash. I am going to remove that & see what happens. What is the IPR? There are so many abbreviations on this site I guess i missed where to lookem up at. Thanks Scuffy!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The plastic cover that holds the pcm did not have the top screw in & the bottom was loose. It was tough to get the top screw in. Got it in & tightened both of them up, wait to start came on & fired up. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.