ZF6 trans fluid question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF6 trans fluid question

hey guys

its time to do some maintenance on my girl's BARGAIN f250.... im going to change the front/rear diff fluid, transfercase, and the transmission fluid. any one have the specs as to how much fluid and some fluid recomendations? brand, additive, etc. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 06:38 PM

bump to the top....
Old 06-02-2013, 05:37 AM

Please......a little insight for the dude?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 AM

wanna say 6qts, but remove the top oil plug (d/s) and wait til fluid pours out there. There's a drain plug, on the bottom. Regular ATF for tranny. Diff fluids you'll find using "search" or google.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 AM

i just went with valvoline synthetic gear oils, i know everybody loves amsoil and shaeffers but i just bought what napa had.
rear diff is 75-140 full synthetic, most of the gear oils have a friction modifier already added. if not youll need to add some to the rear.
then the front is either 85w-90 or 75w-90 i cant remember the tag should say on the diff cover.
the front does not require synthetic gear oil or a friction modifier.

and the trans case is the easiet to do!
2 quarts of atf, make sure you take the top plug out before you take the bottom plug out. i took the bottom plug and drained it only to find the top lug was stripped! dam PO
Old 06-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

Diffs, Transfer Case, and ZF6 fluids

Hey brother, when I did mine, I serviced both axles and the trans and transfer case all at the same time. I went with RedLine ATF and RedLine MTL. I am not sure which fluid went in which component as it was kinda weird but I did the research on it and it all checked out. I will get you that info when I get to it. I am no where near my service records. My truck has been running strong on it ever since. I also added Rev x to the rear diff and the ZF6 because I am a complete believer in that stuff. All together it was a little pricey just because that is all fully synthetic and the the $30 a bottle for Rev X but my truck can squeeze about 23 MPG on the highway on a 500 mile trip so I'd like to think that somewhere, that stuff helped out. BTW, I still have the gear rollover that all ZF6s do. I don't think anything out there will cure that!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 PM

thanks for the responses guys. all are helpful! powerstrokeavenger, what do you mean the "gear rollover"? its pretty hard to get the trans into reverse or low. (not that low is ever really used, but reverse is) im hoping that changing the fluid with an additive may help with that....
Old 06-11-2013, 03:45 AM
Premium Member

Gear Rollover

Gear rollover is the growling coming from your tranny (only ZF6). There have been entire threads made on the subject. It's nothing bad, just kind of annoying. Check out this thread: Definition of Gear Rollover - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Also, to finish my answer from before, I used 2.5 quarts of Redline D4 ATF in my transfer case, Redline D4 ATF in my transmission along with 4 oz of Rev-X, and Redline 75W140 MTL Gear Oil in my front and rear diffs. (for some reason I only documented how much the transfer case took, sorry)

When I did my Diffs, I did alot of research on limited slip and if you need friction modifiers or not and all that stuff. I came to the conclusion that in our diffs, Redline is sufficient and no friction modifiers are needed.

I also called Rev-X to see what they had to say about me adding Rev-X to the tranny and they said the tranny will love me for it. So far it's been great. With all synthetics in my driveline, I am sure that lower temps are achieved and better fuel mileage must be the result.

I have heard about this stuff called Gorilla Juice (I think?) and it has been rumored that it will take that annoying gear rollover away but I am skeptical. Maybe I will try it on my next tranny fluid change (in about 75,000 miles)

Keep on ing
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 AM

thanks again for the help. i now know exactly what you are talking about with the growling...i was nervous for a little bit when we first got it but have put quite a few miles on it with no issues...so i thought eh, run it.. where did you buy all of your fluid? online, or a local parts store?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

If you want Redline, PM me. I can help you out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.