Potential for a Donor 2000 7.3l - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Potential for a Donor 2000 7.3l

Hi All,

I have an E99 with 450,000km (280,000mi). It is fairly new to us, about a year. I have a DP Tuner Infinity DX with all the tunes built in. I have the Baldwin air filter mod and a magnaflow exhaust from the turbo back with Cat delete.

This is our camping truck. We pull a 5000lb trailer with it and we have 33" tires on it.

Other than this it is pretty much stock.

When I bought my tuner the guys at DP said that I could do a lot of good upgrades with some of the late 99 or later 7.3l parts. Namely IDM, Injectors, HPOP.

I am also suffering from pretty low power when climbing with the trailer. EGTs climb to 1300 and I am only going like 80-90kmh and losing ground. If it is an extended hill the CEL will come on and I get a P1211 code "Injector Control Pressure low/high" or something like that. After the hill it clears and CEL goes off.

I have found a couple of 2000 7.3l and I am considering buying one for parts.

So after all of that I have 2 questions:

1. Can I troubleshoot the oil pressure issue now, ie replace ICP, IPR given that I may be buying a parts truck in a couple of weeks? For example do the ICP and IPR sensor span both the E99 and the later engines? If they are different should I wait and rob parts or is it better just to replace them anyway?

2. As I mentioned I am interested in the injectors, HPOP, IDM, etc from the donor truck. Can I install these parts as simple swaps or is there tricky parts to doing this? Is it a good idea to swap these injectors or should I really get remanned ones? Is robbing these parts the best way to go about this? I am only planning on spending $2000 max on the donor truck.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm a big fan of parts trucks... if my wife didn't nix the idea, I'd have my own personal junk yard... I did untill she moved in!

The parts truck will be nice to have... even if just for core parts, as in the injectors. Most rebuild places want your old ones back, and they must be the same as the ones you get, as in, your early '99 ones will not work for cores if you want the later style injectors. Same for HPOP, and other parts. But still worth haveing the parts... converting to the later turbo, HPOP, intake, injectors, etc.

You might need to have your computer reflashed and tuner as well, updated for the newer injectors and such...

Are you running boost and EGT gauges? I hope so, if ANY kind of power adder (tuner/chip) is used...
Old 05-06-2013, 05:40 AM

agreed parts trucks are good if you want them...but I'd say save the $$. The icp/ipr are the same on E99 to late. IDM they're refering to it ours is a 110v (obs's are 100V) late model are 120V, to fix that mod yours to 140V with a reistor (search for lots of threads about it). Secondly the 15* hpop we have in ours can power up to small stage 2's for inj's and for a "tow" truck stage 1's are just fine with good tuning. As far as switching the turbo to the late style thats where the parts truck (depending on price) would be worth it. As a compleate conversion for just the parts is in the 2,000 area (again search for lots of info on that). If it where me I'd look at the gen 2 WW on the stock turbo and a bigger housing that'll get you close to the flow rates on a D66 (i know not exact but ) at ALOT less price. The D66 is the only direct bolt in up grade for our trucks that aint involved in switching alot of parts. So in short I'd say good intake/exh, then a TS chip (from someone who knows E99's and trust me tunes are diffrent for late and early but thats another story) after that good/built trans, then inj's, then turbo upgrades. All that will get you enough power to be happy.

Oh and almost forgot get a bigger trans cooler too.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wife is OK.

She is OK with the idea of ONE donor truck. We are lucky because the way our lot is we can park it up on top where we never see it as well.

I do have an EGT probe, but not a specific boost gauge. My Tuner can read all the devices in the Ford computer so I can do a rescale of the MAP and the Baro devices to calculate boost.

I am seeing that a lot of this stuff is core related. Also with the high miles I have there are a lot of things that break from age, just this weekend I discovered that my horn & airbag don't work because the clockspring cable is totally severed. A lot of the wiring clips break and stuff like that from age too.

I did try disconnecting the ICP while running and the idle jumped up. No signs of oil so I probably just have a tired HPOP.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 AM

jumped up because the pcm puts in a default of 750 psi at idle...means it's ok as idle should be 600-800ish. only way to really tell weak hpop is a AE type scan.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So the original one I was looking at I missed in the auction, sold for $2500 and it was about a 6hr drive from me. Then I asked one of our contractors, they have many F350s and they are in rough shape if anyone has worked with diamond drillers, you will know what this means.

Anyway, it is a 2000 XLT so it has a lot of upgrades that I can use. Mine is bone stock except for AC. $2000 delivered to my driveway. It runs and moves but has a slipping tranny when warm.

I am leaning towards stripping whatever I can think that I might want. Engine, Trans, tcase, diffs, front seat, power windows?, etc.

So I will be asking a lot of questions in the future that have probably been answered, such as: how do I wire in a power seat in a non-power seat cab, do power windows simply need power and to be wired to the driver`s switch, etc.

Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.