E99 7.3 issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E99 7.3 issues

I've had the truck for a few years, but ever since I bought it I have had issues with it starting in cold weather and extended cranking pretty much all the time. It puffs some grayish blue smoke when it starts in colder weather. I've pulled the oil fill cap off and no pressure comes out just some white smoke. The truck only has the tymar intake and 4 inch exhaust. I'm curious if you guys think I have a compression issue or injector issue or hpop issue? The truck has 240k on it and to my knowledge the injectors and hpop are factory. Thanks for any help I get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Have you tried seeing if your glow plug relay is working properly? It is most likely your cause. To test your hoop or injectors you need a good quality scan tool such as a autoenginuity or the like.

Is your oil level in the resivior at the top when you take out the inspection plug up top?
It should be within a half an inch from the top.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, I've checked the glow plug relay and also checked the reservoir on the hpop and it is full.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone figure this one out cause my truck is doing the same thing it has a new relay and hpop is full but if I plug my block heater in for a bit it will fire up with a jump, this is my first diesel and its fun when it runs but it's really hard to start now the temp here in St. Louis is like 30 degrees n this is the warmest it's been
Old 03-22-2013, 04:03 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Its either the glow plug relay or your glow plugs....could be the wiring going to the glow plugs but not likely
Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Batteries, cables, terminals, glow plugs, glow plug relays, under valve cover harness to glow plugs, oil weight, time since last oil change. Just the basics.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:53 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
And when all those have been checked out its probably the injectors since its an E99. I have an E99 as well and went through this same problem with cranking it UNLESS it was already warm. Checked and/or replaced everything with no change. Then I installed my new injectors and on 12* morning with out it being plugged in I can let the glow plugs run there complete cycle(takes about 2 minutes total) it will fire right up and run perfectly. That is also with regular Rotella oil not the thin synthetic stuff.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlogue5_0 View Post
And when all those have been checked out its probably the injectors since its an E99. I have an E99 as well and went through this same problem with cranking it UNLESS it was already warm. Checked and/or replaced everything with no change. Then I installed my new injectors and on 12* morning with out it being plugged in I can let the glow plugs run there complete cycle(takes about 2 minutes total) it will fire right up and run perfectly. That is also with regular Rotella oil not the thin synthetic stuff.
Thanks. That is the direction I was leaning but wanted some other opinions after checking the other possibilities.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlogue5_0 View Post
did you also have to swap out the idm? ive also been thinkin if it was the injectors swapping up to the newer/better injectors n idm.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had already swapped that out with Bean's one about a year earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.