e99 dead in the driveway - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
e99 dead in the driveway

Hi ford peoples...

I've been lurking around for a few months now but this will be my first post. I bought an early 99 truck a couple months back and I'm in the middle of trying to get it back on the road. Trucks got 205k currently and had been running well in my opinion up until the last week or so. Im trying to get some advice on where to go from here so I'll give the quick rundown on the list of mods it already has, the symptoms it developed, and what i've done thus far in the hopes that I can get some solid advice as to what I should do from here.

Truck has:

Adrenaline hpop, (there when I purchased)
Are intake
exhaust
ts 6 position chip

Other than that it appears stock for the most part aside from cosmetics.

Now the symptoms:

Truck had been starting fine in warm temps, got cold and it would be a little rough as it warmed up last few times it started. Felt fine running down the road and never smoked or seemed to lack for power. At idle, when warmed up, there was a slight roughness, almost like a skip but as soon as the rpm come off idle it was smooth. Its not my daily driver so I mostly get in it on the weekends, started fine last saturday and I took a short trip into town. When I went back to start it later that night it fired up, ran for about a minute then got rough and died. Ive been able to get it to start once since then but it only ran for about a minute before dying again.

Since then I put in a stan cor gp relay because the factory ford relay was intermittently outputting power. Also put in a brand new set of batteries. Didn't change things. Pulled the fuel filter and found oil in the bowl, have also noticed that its a bit excessive on the oil consumption but no sign coming from the tailpipe tells me its burning it like crazy but its going somewhere...

I'm limited with diesel experience and I've got someone local thats going to come diagnose it towards the end of the week but from what I've come across it looks probable that its going to be time for some injector work or at the least o-rings.

I dont have the time to keep throwing parts at it or the time to be wrenching on it with all my spare time so if I do have to go inside for injectors and glow plugs etc whats the best way to do it once and do it right? I want to use the truck for pulling a camper, other than that it'll never work that hard but I would like more power than it has currently. IMO an early 99 in stock tune is a dog. Im not impressed. With the ts chip, in 75 or 100hp its not bad at all but if I have to do injectors whats the best route for some more power without going overkill?

Any suggestions on where to buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm in the same boat except the not running problem. From what I've come to discover... Late 99 injectors, hpop, and ecu. All of which would make a decent upgrade without going crazy...

But most aftermarket suppliers, sell great upgrades except the ecu.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My E99 had similar problems when I first bought it-starting and running rough on cold days. I had to replace my valve cover gaskets harnesses and one injector module. Those might be worth checking out. As far as the oil in the fuel bowl goes I'm not sure. I assume you know that the injectors operate from oil pressure. Oil in the bowl might indicate an oil leak that prevents your injectors from working properly and also contribute to the hard starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.