Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Lose of power steering and brakes are like a sponge

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dirt_mover 
#1 ·
Hello I've got a 1999 Ford f350 and its got 420000 miles on it if someone can please help me with my problem very confused

#2 ·
First :ORG welcome:

Second, I think the early 99 has hydroboost for the power brakes which is ran from the powersteering circuit but if the hydro unit isn't getting oil, it should cause the brakes to feel hard.

I would still take a look at the power steering system and make sure things are correct. Then we can go from there.

#3 ·
Hi turbostang500

Thanks for you reply I put a new. p/s pump on it about 4 months ago cause it went out it had no p/s and brakes were very hard after the pump the pump has always had a wineing sound I don't know if the hydro booster are the steering box would cause this problem neather have been changed before

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 ·
I wonder if the fluid isn't getting through the steering box and causing too much to go through the hydro unit. I wish I was fluent on this system but im not.

If the pump is whining, that should be air in the system causing cavitation.

#6 ·
I used dex III trans fluid a lot of people said that was the best too use in this system

And Yes I was trying to figure out if the steering box was bad maybe it is bypassing the steering box causeing to much fluid to booster just not sure ???

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
DEXIII is what you are supposed to use.
I think the system isn't working right. Because if you have hard steering, it's a PS issue obviously. So pump, fluid, something like that.
Then soft brakes might be no brake boost or air in the brake lines.
The common denominator is basically no pressure it sounds like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.