Expert advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Expert advice

Hello everyone. I am a new member looking for some advice. I have an early 99 DRW automatic that I have owned for about 3 years. When I bought it, it had just over 20k miles on it. It now has about 50k on it. The upgrades/mods I have done to it include a AIS filter system (no fender mod yet), a MBRP 6200 turbo back system, the CCV mod, pillar gauges (boost, tranny temp and egt) and a coolant filter system. I have a Superchips tuner that I use in TOW safe mode when I pull my 42' fifth wheel. Gobs of power, could pull it at crazy unsafe speeds if I wanted to.

So the reason I joined and am now posting is that I'm concerned about my egts when pulling the trailer uphill. I normally have to back off of the throttle to keep the temps below 1250/1300. My peak boost is around 21 psi, although typical max is around 19 psi. Power isn't the problem at this point, it is heat. I am looking at a DP tuner to replace the Superchips model, but if I'm only spending money to end up with the same result, why bother. I disconnected the wastegate tube for a test this evening and without pulling anything I got 21, maybe 22. With it connected 19, maybe 20. I think all my boots are in good shape, although I haven't changed them out since I bought it. I have read where folks in different forums state they get upto 25psi. Since I believe more air would equate to lower EGTs, is 25psi realistic???

I also notice I never hear the wastegate blow off like I do on some trucks. Is that typical for an early 99 automatic?

I don't want to spend money, just to spend it. I'm looking for some advice on if I'm getting what I should expect or if I need to do some work. I'm not looking for 500hp, just 250-350 range to pull the trailer without heat soaking the pistons and/or having to drive 45mph uphill to keep things cool.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Bryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont know alot about chips but is your super chip a custom tuned one, like specifically for your pcm?

Most off the shelf type chips come with all the tunes for every PCM and model of truck if you get a custom tuned one it will be just for your truck, which may help.

As for boost PSI it sounds like normal, but boost doesnt equal more horse power if there is nowhere for the air to go then getting more psi wont help. If it can get all the air it needs then getting a bigger turbo would help.

Also your waste gate; mine likes to open a little early especially if im stuck in mud and just givinin it to her, yours may be stuck, a good upgrade is a Waste Gate controller which can be set (be careful not to over do it for your stock turbo).

Nothing else seems to be wrong.

How big is the trailer or hill? If this is a new problem when was the last time you washed the radiator out (they can plug with dirt causing super high temps), also gearing like 4:10s dont like to go fast, a few other things contribute to but not as much.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedcowboy View Post
I dont know alot about chips but is your super chip a custom tuned one, like specifically for your pcm?

Most off the shelf type chips come with all the tunes for every PCM and model of truck if you get a custom tuned one it will be just for your truck, which may help.
I just have a Superchips Tuner which programs my PCM. I'm not sure how "smart" the tuner is figuring out how you are equipped, but my tuner is for 97-03. I suspect it is a rather generic program applied to any of those years. I think that is part of the problem, but can't confirm.

Quote:
As for boost PSI it sounds like normal, but boost doesnt equal more horse power if there is nowhere for the air to go then getting more psi wont help. If it can get all the air it needs then getting a bigger turbo would help.
I found a leaky up pipe which may be contributing to my problem. This is probably causing the lost of some exhaust pressure which causes the lost of boost and less air flow. That is now fixed but I won't know until this weekend if helps. I'm also going to modify my AIS filter system to add the second fender intake. More air....

Quote:
Also your waste gate; mine likes to open a little early especially if im stuck in mud and just givinin it to her, yours may be stuck, a good upgrade is a Waste Gate controller which can be set (be careful not to over do it for your stock turbo).
I don't think the wastegate is too big of a problem, but I will find out. I also ordered a new pressure line from the solenoid to the wastegate actuator as I don't think the rubber fittings are holding pressure which is also another boost leak.

Quote:
Nothing else seems to be wrong.

How big is the trailer or hill? If this is a new problem when was the last time you washed the radiator out (they can plug with dirt causing super high temps), also gearing like 4:10s dont like to go fast, a few other things contribute to but not as much.
The trailer is a 42' fifthwheel and weighs about 11,500 dry. The hills vary greatly as I live in Colorado. I expect steep hills to be an issue, but when driving highway speeds on inclines, I don't want or feel the need to back off. I expect I run the stock program, the EGTs would still be an issue, just not as quickly. The engine temp isn't a problem, its just the exhaust temps. I have 4.10 gears, but speed isn't dictating when the problem happens, it is load based at highway speeds (55-70).

Thanks for your insight. I'll post any findings.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Get rid of the super chips. Get the dp I love mine on my e99. I don't tow alot only a car trailer 10 miles once a year. But a dp tunner with a tow tune is not that expensive I would also recommend a Eco tune while not towing. Jody has different toe tunes depending on the towing weight I think a 60 hp tune would be good for you but call him up first. A custom tune will run a little cooler the the generic ****.

The only other way to lower egts is a turbo. You will see a good drop with a turbo but for our e99 the d66 is the only turbo that is drop in ready

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Sorry for spelling mess ups damn I phone

Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrain25 View Post
Get rid of the super chips. Get the dp I love mine on my e99. I don't tow alot only a car trailer 10 miles once a year. But a dp tunner with a tow tune is not that expensive I would also recommend a Eco tune while not towing. Jody has different toe tunes depending on the towing weight I think a 60 hp tune would be good for you but call him up first. A custom tune will run a little cooler the the generic ****.

The only other way to lower egts is a turbo. You will see a good drop with a turbo but for our e99 the d66 is the only turbo that is drop in ready

Thanks for the info. I suspect that the tuner is a big part of the problem. I am looking at the F5; will probably do that in a month or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.