Torque Con took a dump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque Con took a dump

Towed heavy load last week 500 miles with strong head wind. Stopped half way and noticed trans fluid leak from fly wheel inspection plate. Also air conditioner stiopped working. On way back home had a tail wind and trans did not seem to get quite as hot. Took it into dealer and they are replacing torque converter. I just went on ebay and bought a 6.0 trans cooler, then went over to RiffRaff and bought a set of gauges and pillar mount along with a 4" exhaust. Hope this cooler will make a difference.
Any had good luck with the 6.0 cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Haven't gotten it myself, although driving around town empty in the Florida heat the past few days my temps have been around 180. I plan on getting a different cooler eventually and that's what I'm leaning towards.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-22-2012, 06:11 PM

Oh man you should have got an after market Torqe Coverter!! I put a stock one in after I blew mine up, and for the cost you could have gotten a way better converter for the same price or cheaper. Plus the stock converter wont last as long, plus while its in the shop getting a valve body put in would be a good idea for heavy loads (that way you dont have to change your trans fluid again)
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM

6.0 cooler is on my list as well. I just through the glow shift guages in my truck to monitor the vitals. Let us know how all of the install's go. The dang guages took me all day and a few beers!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Well I put in the 4" exhaust which was pretty dang easy, then I installed the gauges and pillar mount and that took me 4 hours. My 6.0 cooler will be here to morrow so I may do that this weekend.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Any progress on the 6.0 Cooler swap? I think that is next on the list for me.... I just completely rebuilt my front end this past weekend. Quite a process.

New moog and timken parts:
-Inner Axle Seals
-Outter Seals
-Dust Seals
-Outter Passenger Side Axle End & U Joint (Mine was torn up)
-All new steering, tie rods, etc.
-New Ball Joints
-Late 99 New Hub Bearing Assemblie conversion
-Late 99 Drilled and slotted Rotors & new Pads
-Warn Premium locking hubs
-12 pack coors light! haha
Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Well I decided to have the cooler flushed and pressure checked before I bust my *** putting it in. I may have the cooler back this week and may put it in early next week

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM

I'm glad you decided to check it and flush it. You don't want any old stuff introduced into the trans.
Personally, I'd suggest going with a Dieselsite external trans filter. Or making your own just like it. It's what I did, and I like it.

I also have 322k miles on a stock trans right now. So going with a stock TC is not a bad idea.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 AM

Talking

Were you absolutely positive that your TC went bad? It may have been a waste of money. Since you didn't have gauges at that point you weren't able to check your temps. Maybe your trans was just gettin so hot that it boiled your ATF and blew it out the overflow?

Mine did that same thing about a month ago in stop and go traffic (no cooling when not moving) at the border pulling a 16k# load. 225*-235* temps and it was pissing ATF everywhere. I was log jammed and couldn't do anything other than sweat it out. I through it into neutral to relieve pressure and coasted the rest of the way into the border check station. Finally got through all of the stop and go traffic, got it back up to a high enough speed to where it could cool the trans and it went back to normal operating temps (165*-175*). The next couple of days I noticed a drip from the same spot you were talking about. Hosed it down from the engine back to get all of the residual ATF outta there and never saw the drip again.

Ford were probably the ones that diagnosed your truck correct? They are always quick to assume that something catastrophic is wrong with your truck and 9 times out of 10 they are wrong.

The 6.0 cooler is definitely a good idea though. I was thinking about adding an auxiliary trans cooler with an electric fan for all of the stop and go crap.

What temps are you reading now with those new gauges? Let us know what the difference in temps are before and after that 6.0 cooler.

Thanks for the post!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:28 AM

You are right about it being the Ford dealer. My tempst without towing, just hiway cruising get up to 260 degrees. I have not yet put the cooler on simply because of lack of spare time. Once I get it on I will report back with new temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.