low boost pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
low boost pressure

I have an early 99 built 2/98 last week I performed the ccv mod, diy intake,and the zoodad mod and installed a set of auto meter gauges. After installing the ccv mod I removed all my boots and cleaned and did the hair spray trick, I even pulled the spyder off and cleaned the orange boots to the heads. Ater I got everything put back together the truck seemed much stronger, but my boost is only 18 psi max pulling a big hill. this seems pretty low compared to the number i have seen on here. I still have the red line hooked up at the waste gate, should I remove and plug this line. Or is 18 all I am going to get. Everything on the truck is stock beside the mods I just performed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yea, thats normal. I could hit 18-19 before tunes. With just tunes it will peg 25 psi.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I figured that it was pretty close to normal. Is there anything that will improve boost, like removing the red line going to the waste gate or shorting the rod, or should I leave it all the way it is and just buy a chip or tuner?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM

The WG could be weak, and removing the actuating vacuum line may help, but only hides the problem. A new WG is the only solution.
You can also get NEW boots just to ensure that they are good, and check for exhuast leaks pre turbo. They like to leak at the up pipe gaskets. Soot will be a tell tale sign of a leak.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^^^What he said! Always check for leaks first. Installing a chip with supporting mods (intake, exhaust, guages) will always give good useable power and increase boost pressure if thats what is desired.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked the up pipes, and the passenger side pipe has a small amount of soot around it, about an inch long streek. How bad of a job is it to repair this, Do I have to remove the down pipe from the turbo to make room to get the up pipe out?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 AM

You will more than likely have to removed the down pipe to access the passenger side up pipe. The drivers side is usually the culprit for leaks, and is way more of a pain in the *** to replace than the passenger side.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if you get into replacing the uppipe donuts, you might as well plan on installing the new pipes while you have it apart. my pipes were toast when i changed the donuts and is usually the norm after the donuts start leaking....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.