Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

early 99 couple questions about mileage/gauges/programmer....

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  countryraised 
#1 ·
I put on a lot of miles every year, between 40-50k annually. I dont pull heavy a lot(a 9k skidsteer short distances, maybe 1000 miles a year) and about 3000 miles pulling between 5k-7k lbs. All highway miles (not that many towns up here in ND) Bought a 99 (build date 05/98) with an auto, and 270k to replace my s-10 and older 1 ton 460 gasser. My question is mileage, and longevity. Would like a tuner to help with mileage, and gauges just to monitor for problems. Any suggestions for a tuner with both?? I dont care much about power, just reliability. Are there any tuners I can just plug in to my obd2 and get egt,coolant temp, trans temp, boost etc.?? And a decent economy tune?? Or would i have to install sending units for all gauges to work?? Dont want to spend a ton of money, between 400-800 bucks. Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
3 in 1 glow shift diesel gauge.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#3 ·
You should get a exhaust and the 6637 filter to lower your egts. And should put both of these things before a chip/tuner

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#4 ·
I wanna move this to the top, but add a question, as far as doing these mods and adding a chip, What are the long/short term effects in regards to tranny and engine life? do these things make things die faster than just dealing with it stock?

#5 ·
anytime you add power you add more heat and stress on components that ulimately cause premature failure. you can add power but if you treat it right, drive sensably, do regular maintenance, you can make one run a long time

#6 ·
so are there any kind of upgrades/mods that help the engine and tranny? and also increase maybe not hp but increase mpgs? and maybe a little better response time?

#7 ·
a chip with tow tunes will help the trans by adjusting the shift points and line pressure to reduce clutch slippage, almost all chips will make throttle response much better, a lot of tuners have daily driver(DD) tunes that can help with mileage if you can keep your foot light on the gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.