Clarification - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clarification

I've been reading up on ELC and e99s and I'm honestly confused. Some info says yes as long as your build date is after 2/98 and others say no. Mine is a 9/98, so can I run it w/o it eating up my injector cups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 05:43 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

As far as I know you can run ELC in anything.

First I've heard of this...
Old 12-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Let me see if i can find the thread I'm thinking of - 1 min

edit: this one has quite a bit of info: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/96...formation.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch
*Tip* International who made your engine, and who's engine your Ford cooling system was designed around, recommended a Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant (HD ELC) for all 2/2/99-up built engines (SN 940614-up). These are generally red coolants with operation lives of 300K-750K miles/6-8 years, depending on brand. They are very robust and require no maintenance or additives. Popular brands include International's Fleetrite ELC, Shell Rotella ELC, CAT ELC, Chevron Delo ELC, Peak Final Charge, Prestone Heavy Duty ELC, Zerex Extreme Heavy Duty, etc.

*Tip* Due to International's compatibility tests, all pre-2/2/99 build engines (pre-SN 940614) should use a conventional coolant with the addition of SCA (or a pre-charged conventional coolant already charged with SCA). Most conventional coolants will be green, "low-silicate" and meet ASTM D4985. There are too many brands to list. They will require the addition of a supplemental coolant additive (SCA) at initial fill and maintenance of that SCA thereafter. Most pre-charged conventional coolants will be pink, purple, or blue and meet ASTM D6210. These coolants do not require an initial dose of SCA, but will require SCA maintenance thereafter. These are coolants like Peak Fleet Charge, Prestone Heavy Duty, Zerex Precharge, Shell Diesel Ready, Fleetguard Fleetcool, Fleetrite Fully Formulated, and so on.
Well I was apparently wrong on the date by a year lol Still confused tho.

Last edited by 7.3PwrHse; 12-17-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: link
Old 12-17-2011, 06:02 PM

I heard this. Something about seals or something. Which idk why ELC would eat seals?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I heard this. Something about seals or something. Which idk why ELC would eat seals?
I don't neither - which is why I was hoping some "ELC God" would bless us with his/her presence lol
Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Especially if the problem is in the injector cups, which don't have any o-rings to seal in the coolant.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:05 AM

bumpity.....
Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 AM

u can use it.. just google it
Old 12-18-2011, 02:07 PM

lol I swear, the more I read, the more confused I get.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/874045-final-verdict-or-still-unknown-elc-coolant-on-99-5-and-up.html

Quote:
"Mostly it's the injector cups. International, who made the engine, found some compatibility issues with the older injector cup material, sensors, front cover, seals, gaskets, o-rings, and probably some other stuff when using coolants that contained organic acid technology (OAT). Coolants like ELC's (usually Red) and G-05 (usually Gold) will have these OAT's. Conventional coolants (usually Green) will not.

So International revised those components on all 2/2/99-up build engines (SN 940614-up), and began recommending and factory filling with HD ELC coolants mid-year 2000. Never looked back.

You could use HD ELC's in the older engines, but you run the risk of having to replace the cups and maybe some other stuff. I always try to recommend conventional coolant meeting ASTM D4985 with SCA or a pre-charged conventional coolant meeting ASTM D6210 for those. But it's your call, and some owners use the ELC in their older engine successfully. For the 2/2/99-up builds I would highly recommend upgrading to HD ELC.
I reckon it's really just a toss up - do I play it safe and stick w/ green and SCA or do I switch to ELC and risk damaging components but have a better coolant? hmmmmmm
Old 12-18-2011, 02:31 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Whats your engine build #?

Mines 964,034, so I'm good

Last edited by late_99_PSD; 12-18-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.