Vacume pump info?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Vacume pump info??

I haven't quite found the answers I am looking for so can some one help sort this out for me please? On my E99 I can turn my 4x4 on and I have no issues with my defrost or vents etc... but the vacume lines going to my front end are ripped and just hardly hanging there (noticed it this past week).Is there some sort of bypass that was probable done and I just don't know what to look for? My 4x4 works if I lock the hubs in (which is how I like it) but I have read where when it goes bad people's vents/defrost etc works funny? Not sure if I should replace the bad lines or just pull them off completely. Thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The lines that go to the hubs only affect the vacuum for putting in 4x4 when keeping hubs on auto. You could put these on and be done forever. http://www.dieselsite.com/1999-2004f...ofhosekit.aspx
Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Explain, "By keeping it on auto" please. I am guessing that hubs locked or unlocked I can be going down the rd and just flip the switch to 4H and it is supposed to lock in, right? Which is the same as leaving the hubs locked in and flipping the switch to 4H when I need it, right?

Those braided lines are pretty nice but I think what I am trying to ask/find out is exactly how this set up is supposed to work. Thanks.

Bear with me, I am know to have brain farts
Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 PM

Price out Earl's braided lines at Summit Racing. Can do the hoses cheaper yourself.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

You are right about how the system works. If you lock the hubs manually you can shift in and out of 4x4 at any time. If you have them unlocked, which says auto not unlock on the hub they will lock when they have vacuum applied to the hoses. replacing the hoses will restore that function. In 2wd the heater should not be affected, but in 4x4 with the hoses torn your heater will probably have problems diverting air. That is unless someone has plugged the lines with something.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 PM

Well I went out and looked at it again and this is what i found. The vacume lines from the hubs to the top of the shock where it attaches to the plastic line is gone/dry rotted. From there on everything is complete all the way to the pump. Now obviously the 4x4 doesn't auto lock but if i manual lock the hubs the 4x4 works fine AND nothing negative happens to the ac/heat etc....

I am gonna fix the lines and just leave it be. One more question, manual or auto. We can "shift on the fly" right? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Yes, You can shift on the fly. Make sure you are getting vacuum to the hubs when you fix the lines, engage at a stop once or twice, just to make sure. If the hubs don't lock the t-case will grind. Also make sure that the hubs unlock. When they stick it really kills your mileage
Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Cool, thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.