injector question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 01:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
injector question

hey guys, I need to replace the number 8 injector on my truck. I have looked at Beans diesel website and would like to purchase from there. My question is the local ford dealer told me that the number 8 injector is different than all the rest, and I didnt see a selection for that on Bean's website. I called them and they stated there was not a difference. What is the deal with this. Can someone enlighten me on this subject. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The #8 injector is a different part number then the rest. Ford used a slightly different injector that was supposed to be quiter then the other 7 injectors. This was because the #8 injector is closest to the firewall, and the driver. Performance wise it's pretty much the same. Most people don't worry about replacing it with the original style injector when doing injectors. It's really an oddball thing that they tried.

Can I ask why you are doing the #8 injector? Are you having performance issues or is it just logging that code when doing a cylinder balance test? If you had the CPS(cam position sensor) replaced by the ford recall it's know to throw a #8 fault, even if there is no issue.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 AM

i seem to be having performance issues. My mechanic told me that the #8 injector was not performing like the others. We ran a test on all the injectors with the snapon scanner and it was weaker than the rest.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Are you really having performance issues though? Or did he just happen to run a cylinder balance test and #8 popped up? The snap on scanner just does an automated test and then tells you which hole is weakest. The only issue with that is there have been alot of people that have had the recall CPS sensor installed and then had the truck log #8 injector balance faults but there really wasn't an issue with the #8 injector.

I take it it's running rough on you with low power and white smoking?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How many miles on the set of injectors? Paying to have just one replaced does not work out good WHEN the others decide to quit also. What is the truck doing, is it missing?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM

its hard to tell to me. I think that it is. It has never really had the power I expected from it. It put the php chip on it and it was still weak feeling. It is more prevalent when the chip is on vs. in stock mode. I was in a 24v cummins before this truck and it had a 60hp chip in it. It was alot stronger feeling. My dads e99 7.3 with 372k miles on it also feels much stronger. it has always sounded different than his at idle also. I am pretty sure the injector is the problem though. Is there a good powerstroke shop in Eastern NC that anyone knows of? would love to have a second opinion. I am on a budget as I am trying to save to build a house, but I have considered going ahead and putting all new injectors in. Also where is the best place to get a set of injectors from.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would recommmend Rosewood diesel, especially on a budget. I don't have them myself but a co-worker does, and eventually will get some from them.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

An early 99 takes AB injectors in all 8 holes. The early trucks often fail the cylinder contribution test on #8. That is why ford started putting a different injector in the #8 hole in the 99.5 trucks. If it runs fairly balanced without the chip it is probably not a problem. there are a lot of other things to check that could be affecting your performance. Check your up pipes and inter cooler boots for leaks.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 PM

ok will do. No there is no white smoke, the truck cranks and runs fine. Just seems weak, and idles differently than other e99's i have heard. I do have the muffler cut off and straight piped, but i dont think that is causing it to sound different. It almost sounds like a chop.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It could be your striaght pipe, Mine is straight piped and at an idle the exhaust has a deffinite choppy sound. however you also say it is weaker than others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.