no start when hot, changed ipr o-rings, new cps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no start when hot, changed ipr o-rings, new cps

My 99 powerstroke had a problem taking longer and longer and longer to start, I finally replaced the started and solved that problem, but immediately after I replaced the starter it wouldn't start. It started with a jump, but when it ran for a few hours and I shut it off it wouldn't start. Sometimes it does, most times it doesn't. I replaced the batteries, replaced the CPS, even put new orings on the ipr (old ones looked perfect, good measure). Any idea what this could be? Oil level looks good.

I do have aftermarket tunes, but they never gave me a problem before, and the problem happens whether the chip is plugged in or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well check the glow plugs for one thing and the glow plug relay to make sure they're both working properly. Do yoy get any white smoke when it finally starts up?

Does it happen only when its cold? Only when its hot? Only cold would point to glow plug system. Only hot would point to high pressure oil system (IPR, HPOP, leaks). Have you tried unplugging the IPR and then trying to start it?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Truck wont run with IPR out, ICP you can unplug and truck will run though.. check your icp sensor??
Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The condition is no start when hot only.

I checked the o-rings on the IPR, they looked fine, but I replaced them anyway. When it doesn't start, unplugging the ICP doesn't change a thing.

I can also get the truck to not start by rapidly shutting it off and turning it on, this caused a no start condition for 2 days! After a few days it started again.

If there was a HPOP leak would I be burning any oil?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you ever figure it out?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does the oil pressure gauge read as soon as you start cranking? or pops up just before it finally starts. If the later, then i would suspect excessive wear/clearance in your low pressure oil pump.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Will your truck start if you add some fuel in the intake. Mine had this problem wear it would start after i shut down but as time when on it got worse and worse i thought it was my ipr valve so i changed the o ring with no result so finaly i got frusterated and took it to the shop. they swore it was the ipr and i told them what i had done and they still insisted on the ipr so they changed it and it turned out not to be that and finaly they changed the HPOP and that fixed. The HPOP was worn just enough that when the oil was still hot it was thinner not letting it build up pressure to fire the injectors hope this might help my truck had 120k on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.