Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Which IDM to get?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pablito 
#1 ·
As I posted separately, I recently became a proud owner of an E99 F350 dually. I had some injector (or what i thought) issues so I bought AE to diagnose.

AE came in today, I fired it right up and ran the injector buzz test. All injectors buzzed and they all sounded very much the same, but test came back with P1298 IDM Failure.

Then I ran the KOEO test and got 3 codes back:

P0230 - Fuel Pump Primary Circuit
P1298 - Injector Drive Module Failure
P1690 - Wastegate Solenoid Circuit

I do know the previous owner put in an aftermarket fuel pump so i suspect that is where P0230 is coming from.

The other two I am more concerned about.

The P1690, seems like this would also be unrelated to the IDM, but I'm going to track this one down first just to make sure. I think this is easily remedied as the solenoids are cheap even if i have to replace one.

I think P1298 explains my suspected injector issue so I'm looking at replacing the IDM. As I understand it that is one thing they switched from the E99 to 99.5. I see these on ebay for relatively reasonable money.

Does it make sense to go to a 120V over the 110V IDM? That is, can I expect better injector compatibility with a 120V one? Will I run into any issues?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.