Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Nominal EGT

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  MKeeney 
#1 ·
I'm adding things daily to my new e99 F350 DRW and I'm getting some interesting observations now that I have my EGT gauge hooked up.

Stats: PHP chip, set to 80hp daily driver. This is supposed to be an economy setting.
The truck has a 4" exhaust, but unfortunately I had to have a cat installed.

EGT probe is installed at the back of the driver side manifold.

So on my test drive I was getting egt temps around 350° to 500° just toodling around my neighborhood, keeping speeds under 40. Then I got on an open stretch of road and kicked the speed up to about 60, but not an aggressive acceleration, about the same as getting on the freeway. Temps got up to 800° to 1000°. Then I went up the steep hill, WOT and got up to about 80 mph. The egt shot up to 1,420° but dropped down into the 1,300°'s when it got into 4th gear and the TC locked.

My only concern is the temp spike with no load. I'm going to throw a heck of a lot tougher workload at it when I get to cutting wood. I'll be towing a 16' trailer and going up a long and very steep winding mountain road.

Now for my test tonight I left it in the 80hp daily driver setting. Will my temps be better controlled when I'm towing heavy loads and have the chip set to one of the towing settings?

What's the highest I should let the exhaust temp get to before I need to intervene?

I put an aftermarket cat and the exhaust shop said that they type I put in isn't prone to clogging, but I'm not so sure it isn't contributing to the higher temps. I had it welded in but it's going to have to come out when I put the exhaust brake on so I think I'm going to go ahead and punch it out and then have it welded back in. The smog guy shouldn't be able to tell. I think all they do is a quick visual look for the bump and nothing more. Is there any other way for them to tell?

Thanks,

The

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, that does seem pretty dang high.

How far in is the probe itself? In the middle of the manifold?

How much boost were you pushing when it got that high?

I have a similar setup, (mods below) and I rarely see above 1200* in the 120 race setting.

Keeping it below 1200* is obviously optimal, anything above 1300* will start to fry stuff. :doh:

#5 ·
The probe is in all the way as far as I can tell. I put it in the middle of the manifold, right at the part where it turns upward. There is a flange on the probe itself that is compressed between the nut and plug. It wouldn't be able to be tightened unless it was in all the way. If the tip of the probe hit the backside of the manifold the flange would prevent the nut from being able to be tight.

I think the boost was somewhere between 9 and 11 PSI. I wasn't actually paying much attention to it. I was more focused on the EGT gauge that was flashing red and beeping.

I've got appointments today so I won't be able to get into it to look at the boots and the intercooler until tomorrow.

#3 ·
make sure your intercooler is clean, I've seen high egt's when theres a bunch of dirt in them and once you wash them out most of the time your good to go. theres a lot of dirt and wind here in reno as you know. so try that and see what happens.

personally when I come around 1000 on egt gauge i start to let off some, but everyone is different.

and with your cat if you just punch it out and weld it back in you should be fine you just need to be under 40% on the opacity test and that isn't hard at all. Me and my friend go to Pro1 off of terminal and mill to get our smog done, he has a 6.0 with egr all blocked off and they didnt notice. its just a quick look.

#4 ·
Loose intercooler boots, leaking up pipes restrictive exhaust all can be factors as to why your gets are running so high

#6 ·
10lbs? wow thats nothin.. my truck will nail 25 lbs and still not get that hot. definitely check everything over! and gut that cat!

#7 ·
Yeah, if that's all the boost you saw and the EGTs were that hot you surely have some kinda leak somewhere

#8 · (Edited)
By Jove, I think you've got it!

Good call guys. Looks like I've got another project to add to the (long) list of projects. Thank you for putting me on the right trail.

So now, next on the hit parade, I guess I need to change all of them out, but I'm having a hard time finding them. BD has a set, but they're for the 99½-03 and I've got an e99. I'm guessing there's a difference. Anyone have any idea where I can go to get the set for an e99?

Attachments

#11 ·
Update:
Well I replaced all of the intercooler/spyder hoses and took it out for a test drive. It all went pretty well until I put the pedal to the metal on my steep hill test. Blew the hose off instantly. So I limped home, put the pipe back in the boot and tightened it up even tighter than before. Testing it produced another instant blow-off. Back home, (at least I was smart enough to stay close to home this time), and put the pipe in again and tightened it even more. Blew off again. Tightened the snot out of it this time and it stayed on.

So now I've had a chance to drive it for a couple of days and noticed that there basically wasn't any performance change. 13 PSI max boost and 1400° EGT under WOT. Hmm?

So yesterday I popped the hood and noticed there was an oil stain on the pipe that wasn't there when I cleaned and painted it. So I check the clamp and it was so loose I probably could have turned the nut by hand. So I tightened the nut all the way and bottomed out the spring(s). I don't understand the need for a spring tensioned clamp that has to be so tight it bottoms out the spring. The instant the coils make contact they're no different than a solid piece of steel. Oh well....

So I take it out on a test drive and was really bummed out to find out the performance is still the same. I got up to 14 PSI but the EGT nearly reached 1500°.

I tried it out different settings on the chip, though none of my programming is big smoke and noise, I've got 80 HP daily driver for economy and light, medium and heavy towing, plus stock. None of the settings produced much of a change.

What's next to look at? I don't understand how repairing a rather large hole in a boot would not have any perceptible change. Now I'm starting to worry. What else could be causing this?

#12 ·
Update:
Well I replaced all of the intercooler/spyder hoses and took it out for a test drive. It all went pretty well until I put the pedal to the metal on my steep hill test. Blew the hose off instantly. So I limped home, put the pipe back in the boot and tightened it up even tighter than before. Testing it produced another instant blow-off. Back home, (at least I was smart enough to stay close to home this time), and put the pipe in again and tightened it even more. Blew off again. Tightened the snot out of it this time and it stayed on.

So now I've had a chance to drive it for a couple of days and noticed that there basically wasn't any performance change. 13 PSI max boost and 1400° EGT under WOT. Hmm?

So yesterday I popped the hood and noticed there was an oil stain on the pipe that wasn't there when I cleaned and painted it. So I check the clamp and it was so loose I probably could have turned the nut by hand. So I tightened the nut all the way and bottomed out the spring(s). I don't understand the need for a spring tensioned clamp that has to be so tight it bottoms out the spring. The instant the coils make contact they're no different than a solid piece of steel. Oh well....

So I take it out on a test drive and was really bummed out to find out the performance is still the same. I got up to 14 PSI but the EGT nearly reached 1500°.

I tried it out different settings on the chip, though none of my programming is big smoke and noise, I've got 80 HP daily driver for economy and light, medium and heavy towing, plus stock. None of the settings produced much of a change.

What's next to look at? I don't understand how repairing a rather large hole in a boot would not have any perceptible change. Now I'm starting to worry. What else could be causing this?
What does your uppipe look like behind the turbo? Lots of oily soot? I would check out the up pipes and double check the headers, too, look for leaks. Wheel on the turbo looks ok? No shaft play, right?

#13 ·
I haven't had a chance to get into the turbo for a peek. I'm afraid of what I will find.

No leaks on the up pipe that I can see. Something that big I probably could hear, no?

#14 · (Edited)
#15 ·
I'm using an Edge Insight CTS scanner. It gets most of it's readings from the stock OBDII plug. I also have an Edge EAS EGT sensor. It's installed in the driver side exhaust manifold, just before the up-pipe.

I sure hope I can get this sorted out soon. I have to start towing heavy loads in a couple of weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.