DIY intake questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY intake questions?

I have an early 99 and the intake box has broken tabs on it and I don't trust the sealing capabilities of it, wanting to do a DIY intake for it and was hoping to come up with a parts list and possibly instructions to make it go a bit smoother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 AM

Here you go.

DIY Intake

This is in the Tech section under 7.3 Mod Help. I bought an S&D filter rather than the Napa one. Works great.

Cheers
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
You put that 6637 filter on it and that turbo will sound great
Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 PM

about a 6in long pipe and a 45 bend 4in exhaust pipe works great. wix 6637
Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 PM

I just bought the entire kit from Riffraff, I went all over hell's half acre looking for a piece of 4in piping that would work and couldn't find it anywhere around here; turns out there are a million Subaru and Hybrid repair shops around here but almost no truck/RV places.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 PM

I got the truck done this week, ended up going to the local boubins muffler shop and got a 4 in exh pipe that had a 45 bend in it and cut it to fit my application then I drilled a hole in it and welded a 1/8th in female pipe bung on it and installed a fleetgaurd filterminder, the whole setup is pretty nifty, better filter without the junk airbox, I like it a lot sounds pretty neat too, its my gpas truck and he thinks it sounds cool too, satisfied customer is all I care haha thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard View Post
I got the truck done this week, ended up going to the local boubins muffler shop and got a 4 in exh pipe that had a 45 bend in it and cut it to fit my application then I drilled a hole in it and welded a 1/8th in female pipe bung on it and installed a fleetgaurd filterminder, the whole setup is pretty nifty, better filter without the junk airbox, I like it a lot sounds pretty neat too, its my gpas truck and he thinks it sounds cool too, satisfied customer is all I care haha thanks for the help guys!
The DIY does sound great, especially on an early 99 with the WW screaming.

BTW, I see in your sig you have an 84 300D. I've had a ton of the 123's and 126's and, IMO, they are hands-down the finest automobiles ever made. Nothing can touch their durability and reliability, I LOVE my truck but if I had to hop in a car and drive across Africa, it would be a 300d. How many miles does it have?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
The DIY does sound great, especially on an early 99 with the WW screaming.

BTW, I see in your sig you have an 84 300D. I've had a ton of the 123's and 126's and, IMO, they are hands-down the finest automobiles ever made. Nothing can touch their durability and reliability, I LOVE my truck but if I had to hop in a car and drive across Africa, it would be a 300d. How many miles does it have?
Lol I absolutely love my 300D, it is kind of my pride and joy, its my work car, its got 222000 on the clock and runs like a top, I removed the factory intake on it as well and have a similiar DIY intake on it too, lol that little turbo screams! I also got the wastegate plugged and the aneroid screw turned up on the injection pump as well, I love it!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 AM

on my E99 i went to Lowe's and installed a 45* PVC pipe and fit perfect. here's a pic so you guys can see what it looks like, haven't clean the engine bay in a while.

P.S. i own a 1987 300D and have to drive it at least once a week
Attached Thumbnails
DIY intake questions?-photo-1.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 AM

i had a guy that comes to my shop try to sell me a 300d the trans was bad still drove under light throttle but body was clean motor only had 120k it sure did knock like hell tho but all those old mercedez diesels do i could have bought it for 800 bucks but couldnt scrape up the cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.