Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DIY intake questions?

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  dieselcrawler 
#1 ·
I have an early 99 and the intake box has broken tabs on it and I don't trust the sealing capabilities of it, wanting to do a DIY intake for it and was hoping to come up with a parts list and possibly instructions to make it go a bit smoother.

#2 ·
#5 ·
I just bought the entire kit from Riffraff, I went all over hell's half acre looking for a piece of 4in piping that would work and couldn't find it anywhere around here; turns out there are a million Subaru and Hybrid repair shops around here but almost no truck/RV places. :dunno:

#6 ·
I got the truck done this week, ended up going to the local boubins muffler shop and got a 4 in exh pipe that had a 45 bend in it and cut it to fit my application then I drilled a hole in it and welded a 1/8th in female pipe bung on it and installed a fleetgaurd filterminder, the whole setup is pretty nifty, better filter without the junk airbox, I like it a lot sounds pretty neat too, its my gpas truck and he thinks it sounds cool too, satisfied customer is all I care haha thanks for the help guys!

#7 ·
The DIY does sound great, especially on an early 99 with the WW screaming.

BTW, I see in your sig you have an 84 300D. I've had a ton of the 123's and 126's and, IMO, they are hands-down the finest automobiles ever made. Nothing can touch their durability and reliability, I LOVE my truck but if I had to hop in a car and drive across Africa, it would be a 300d. How many miles does it have?

#9 ·
on my E99 i went to Lowe's and installed a 45* PVC pipe and fit perfect. here's a pic so you guys can see what it looks like, haven't clean the engine bay in a while:doh:.

P.S. i own a 1987 300D and have to drive it at least once a week :woot:

Attachments

#10 ·
i had a guy that comes to my shop try to sell me a 300d the trans was bad still drove under light throttle but body was clean motor only had 120k it sure did knock like hell tho but all those old mercedez diesels do i could have bought it for 800 bucks but couldnt scrape up the cash.:doh:

#12 ·
My egr valve has a plate between it and the intake manifold so it doesn't recirculate any exhaust. Now what's this other valve I need to look at or plug with a bb??? I'm curious now lol

#14 ·
Back to the DIY intake on a 7.3... LOL nice to see you guys making connections about other diesels!!! I used to follow a tractor forum, and would chat up truck stuff there when I could too....

About the DIY intake on an E99... when I did mine, I used the stock air tube from the stock air box to the CCV adaptor, removed it, turned it around end for end, and reinstalled it, twisted to make it's air filter end match up with the 6637 filter best... took a 4 to 6" long pc of 4" exhaust pipe, but I guess you could use PVC if availible and the right size... no bends needed. Does make the filter sit in there at an angle, but fits nicely between the fender and battery and brake master cylendar. Worked for me... I will try to get a pic to post if I get a chance...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.